Favorite Vacations ; Dream Vacations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pink-pony115, Sep 24, 2006.

1. pink-pony115 macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2006
    I wanted to know What is your Favorite Vacation and Your Dream Vacation.

My favorite vacation was:
    -I went to London and Edinburgh this summer.
    -In London it was hotter than hell but, the tourist attractions were fun.
    -I can trace my linneage to Edinburgh, so naturally I was happy to go.
    - I loved Edinburgh it was so charming

My Dream Vacation would be:
    -Taking a horseback riding trip through Ireland!

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    I'm actually going on a 10-day Caribbean cruise next week. Not sure that it's exactly my dream vacation, but it's sure sounding good right about now.
  3. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    I absolutely loooove travelling, no matter where. The last big trip I took was a two week trip to southeast asia this spring. I've never travelled internationally in the spring, and it's not as crowded as the summer and not as touristy, something I appreciate.

My goal in life is to visit every continent and as many countries as possible. So far, I've been to:
    • Canada
    • Mexico (a few times)
    • England (twice)
    • Wales (twice)
    • Scotland
    • Ireland
    • Northern Ireland
    • France (twice)
    • Spain (only for a day trip)
    • Monaco
    • Italy (twice)
    • Austria
    • Germany
    • Taiwan (connecting flight, does that count?)
    • Singapore (went on longest flight in the world LAX>SIN)
    • Cambodia
    • Malaysia

and this list will definitely expand.
  4. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    That's an incredible list! I wish I were well-traveled.

As far as faves: the beach is only a few hours away. It's nice.

Dream: sailing cruise through the Carribbean.
  5. srf4real macrumors 68030

Jul 25, 2006
    paradise beach FL
    I went on summer vacation in 1985 and never came back!:) I am living my dream vacation one day at a time... but I haven't seen the world yet. I'm waiting for world peace first.:cool:
  6. ecopod macrumors member

Aug 7, 2006
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    A tricky one but

I'd go for last winters holiday, two weeks ski-ing at Stowe followed by a stay in Boston.

Stowe was absolutely fantastic and the ski-ing was superb, everyone was as nice as could be and the food and (lots of) drink was cheap and very tasty. Stayed at the old fashioned Green Mountain Inn and really enjoyed the outdoor pool.

Boston was a revelation, I only picked Boston as a stay over based on visiting 'Cheers' bar. The city was fantastic, great nightlife, great food, really friendly and masses of history. Stayed at the Copley Plaza, nice but expensive, had my most expensive breakfast ever on last day as a treat.

Going back this year but staying at NY on way back.

Got to say I also really enjoyed driving up the east coast of Canada a few years back, again fantastic people and incredible scenery and cities. Had a great pace of life to it and I would emigrate in a second if it wasn't for the amopunt of annual leave I get here in Scotland. Seem to work many more days in N America.
  7. Toe macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    My favorite vacation not surprisingly was the one with the biggest budget. :) It could be done for less money if you fly less (take more boats and/or cars) and stay in inexpensive lodging (which is available in each destination). It went like this:

1. In August, fly into Seattle and spend the night in a hotel on the waterfront.
    2. In the morning, take the train (nearby) to Vancouver. This is a beautiful train ride up the Pacific coast.
    3. Stay in one of the many inns in downtown Vancouver for a while. There is a lot to do in this fascinating city.
    4. Fly to Tofino (on Vancouver Island) in a little prop jet. Spend a few days in Tofino. There is so much to see in this area.
    5. Fly to victoria in a 3-passenger airplane. This flight was breathtaking. Much of it travels (at very low altitude) down the Broken Islands group and other great scenery.
    6. Spend some time in Victoria. There are an infinite number of things to see here.
    7. Take the ferry from Victoria to Seattle. This was the only part I didn't like. The ferry was crowded and close, but maybe one could find a better ferry (or other boat) than I did.

My dream vacation is one that lasts at least a year.
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    No. :p Was there for 9 days. It was ok.

I'm going to Japan for like 2.5 weeks around Xmas time!! I think that's my dream vacation for now, actually. That, or a trip to the Galapagos islands or Easter Island.

Been to too many places to name, really. I liked some of the islands in the Caribbean. New Zealand was absolutely fantastic. I'll never forget being in Edinburgh during the Fringe Festival, since it was raining the entire time and I was soaked and poor. :p Austria was comparable, but NZ is much more memorable, and I just think it's amazing how isolated I felt.

Fiji was meh. I did get chased and almost got killed by 9 Fijians (4 of them were ginormous), but that just made everything more interesting.

Going north of Perth, near Sharks Bay, was absolutely fantastic. Everything was amazing, and the snorkelling........wow. Go to Western Australia if you need to snorkel, folks. :) Was this my best vacation?

I lived in London for a year, and it "was" the pinnacle of my life. I'll always love London as my 2nd home. Does that count as a vacation?

Now I'm living in Australia, where I'm 10 minutes walk from the Pacific Ocean, I'm 15 minutes drive from 4 beaches, and my regular jogging route consists of running along the beach for 15 minutes and through a botanical garden. :p I have been here for almost 2 years, and I'm here for at least another 16 months. Even though I'm doing my PhD, I haven't had this much free relaxing time since I was in elementary/grade school. Does this count as a vacation? :p