Favourite exhibits in the Smithsonian?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Applespider, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've just won a long weekend in Washington DC, primarily to see the MNF game. I've been before and seen the White House, Capitol, Lincoln Memorial etc so this time I'd like to spend some time in the Smithsonian.

Since I like wandering around museums, I'm sure that I'll like almost anything but wondered if anyone had any particular favourites or must-sees that I should definitely get to. I've booked timed tickets for the new Museum of the American Indian already

Thanks

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I used to like the pendulum in the American Histroy museum... I *used* to because they took it out...

I also seem to remember the "entertainment" section being bigger when I was younger... now there's like 6 things there.

However stop by the American History museum. On the lower floor they have a technology area and there's an old Mac or two back there... :)

When I went a few months back security was pretty tight... so expect it.

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    They took it out because some kid jumped on it and broke it.

There is a DaVinci at the National Gallery of Art.

I love the Calder Mobile in the East Building.

I have heard wonderful things about the holocaust museum but have never been.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Man if I coulda been there to watch the kid... that would've at least made me proud... :)

I've heard the holocaust museum is good but also very depressing (of course)... so that's up to one's personal tastes...

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It's hard to miss with the Smithsonian. Just an excellent collection all around. I have particularly fond memories of walking through the national gallery with my then-six-year-old son, who had just seen the movie "Hercules." He would point up to every statue and ask "Is that a hero or a god?" Impressively, you really could divide things up this way, and I think it came out about 50/50.

6. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I like the science & industry exhibits. They have a small section with old computer stuff, such as a 1984 Macintosh, the infamous Xerox box with the GUI and mouse, the supercomputer that beat the Russian chess guy, and lots more. I also loved the giant reciprocating maritime steam engine they had when I was there in late 2003.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The Holocaust Museum was very compelling.

If I were you, I'd want to go see a decent set of football teams. ;)

8. James L macrumors 6502a

I just got back from there (Canadian, but honeymooned in NYC and in DC). I loved:

1) Museum of American history, especially the entertainment area and the flag section (they are currently restoring the original flag your national anthem was written too).

2) Museum of Natural History... the hope diamond was freakin' huge!

3) Holocaust museum, but bring tissue.

4) Air and Space museum, but you need to do both sites. There is the national mall site, which is actually very small, and they run a shuttle that costs $7 (I think). It takes you out to their large museum at Dulles airport. Very cool if you are into planes. They have the Apollo 11 command module, the kitty hawk, the F1, the Enola Gay, the Enterprise space shuttle, etc.

5) You can take the subway out to the national zoo also, then about a 10 minute walk. It's pretty cool, though the Bronx Zoo in NYC was better IMHO.

Cheers!

James

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

In Washington? Good luck!

Go Panthers!

10. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    LOL! Funnily enough that's what I said when I first saw the competition. Now I've won it and getting a free flight over to DC, free 4* hotel and free Club tickets with $500 spending money, I'll cope!

The real football watching tour comes in October with some buddies - Indy, Green Bay, St Louis and Detroit (since I have a Mooch soft spot). We do a tour each year and try to get to different NFL cities and stadiums (rather than just our favourite teams). I'll have been at 23 of the 32 after that. :)

And yes, we've checked off Foxboro - opening MNF game against the Steelers in 2001 as they unveiled the SBXXXVI banner... And of course we saw them in Houston in February....

Thanks for the suggestions so far... keep em coming!

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

definitely make it out to the new air and space meuseam annex in VA, well worth it. and if you drive out there yourself its cheaper, only like $12.00 to park. (cheaper if there is more than one of you)

the holocost meuseam is intense. my mother did some work for them with their oral history department, so we were able to take after hour tours and such. it's very moving, you won't be in the mood for much else afterwards, at least, i wasn't

the new international spy meuseam is fun. it cost $10, and living in dc, this seems like the biggest sham to me. i HATE paying for meuseams! hahaha, the smithsonians have me spoiled. but if you have the time, check this place out, it's a lot of fun. featured in the new Forbes FYI magazine as well.

the new wwII memorial is especially moving, incredible addition to the national mall. visit this at least once- definitely at night. amazing place at night with the fountains and the lights.

i'm a little partial to the next place because i live a block from it... but the national cathedral is gorgeous, and definitely worth a look. if you go during the morning you can ususally listen to the music directors practicing the organ in the lower chapels, very cool.

i'm getting a little long winded, i love this city... email me at stevebeam@gmail.com if you have any other questions. clubs, bars, restaurants. (i grew up in baltimore so i can offer you advice for there as well)