Favourite Pre-7 Final Fantasy game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Mar 19, 2007.

?

Fave FF?

1. Final Fantasy 1 (NES)

9.7%
  2. Final Fantasy 2 (NES)

6.5%
  3. Final Fantasy 3 (NES)

6.5%
  4. Final Fantasy 4 (SNES)

29.0%
  5. Final Fantasy 5 (SNES)

6.5%
  6. Final Fantasy 6 (SNES)

41.9%
  7. Final Fantasy 1 Advance (GBA)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Final Fantasy 2 Advance (GBA)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Final Fantasy 3 (DS)

9.7%
  10. Final Fantasy 4 Advance (GBA)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Final Fantasy 5 Advance (GBA)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Final Fantasy 6 Advance (GBA)

12.9%
  1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So, FF1-6. Which is your favourite and why? Remake or original?

Right now I'm loving FF3 on the DS (lovely art design, catchy music, seems better paced than the first 2), the first because it feels ultra-old skool and 6. bored with FF2 and 4, at least for the time being.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I noticed it's the younger peeps that liked FF 7 better than the FF loving friends I know that are about my age.

I voted FF3.

I have FFIV for the GBA, it's slathered in CHEEEESE. :) I just need to finish it. I almost ***** myself when I noticed readers from Nintendo Power gave it an award for best writing/story in a game. They can't be serious? :eek:

<]=)

4. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I voted FFVI Advance as I've played the SNES version so many times and I expect the GBA rehash to be even better. A close call with both IV and V, the latter I'm playing right now...I just love the job system in V where you actually combine the skills you learn of different jobs, unlike III where the only point of learning 2 jobs is so that you can comfortably be one of those 2 jobs at any time.

VI was just the first, in my mind, to have great weapons/armor/relics that allowed for equiping characters to be based on preference and not just have a single piece of equipment that was hands down better than all others.

At least to me, compare with FFI, II, and III, the storyline in IV was WAAAY better and really lead to the great storylines that were to come in latter FFs. True, it can't compare to the storylines in the FFs since, but it was a huge step.

5. Fezwick macrumors 6502

FF IV for SNES. It was the first FF I played and I found it enjoyable. The storyline was good, the difficulty was hard and the characters (Cecil was my favorite) were memorable.

6. Agilus macrumors regular

Arg. Misvoted. Voted for FF2, because that's what it was originally called on the SNES in the US (even though I know the numbering is screwed up and you clearly wrote NES by it). I guess that makes my real vote for FF IV.

7. kakkoiimac macrumors regular

i voted FF VI...that one has my RPG virginity...the first RPG i played all the way through...it will always have a spot in my heart...

::drifts off in joyful memories::

8. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I selected part 2. I have played 1, 2, 3 (DS version), 7, 8, and the online one when it first came out. I loved the characters in 2. Seven was good, eight bored me so I never got past the train scene. I did not like 3 on the DS at all. Wish I had a chance to play 3. And the online... well I'm sure it's gotten better but when I played (for all of 2 weeks), people were fighting over the mobs to kill -- there just weren't enough, lol.

9. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I went for FFVI (SNES) but I haven't tried the GBA version yet. I loved the character development, drama (emotionally charged game) and musical score of FFVI. I also liked the "espers" game mechanics. To this day, I still love FFVI more than any of its modern successors.

10. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Amen brother!!!! :D
    Give me FFIV and FFVI alone and I'll die a happy man.
    Since most people want to ***** on them, throw in FFIX and FFX (I enjoyed both) and I'll take all 4 and never be heard from again.

IV and VI are where it's at though. Every time I see someone say "FFVII is the greatest FF ever!!" I cry a little more. Man that game sucked; absolutely horrendous garbage. "Oh noes! Aeris died! :SOB:" Get outta here with that crap. Kefka poisoned an entire town in FFVI.

11. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I also liked FFVII but to a lesser extent. The game mechanics were very fun but I didn't find most the characters as endearing. I'm not a big fan of the "I'm-too-cool-to-care-about-anything" anti-hero archetype. Also, the main villain felt like a big pile of cool clichés bundled together. Still, its all a matter of personal taste and I can see why so many people would prefer FFVII over VI.

12. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

While I did lean toward FF III(VI), It will always be III to me damn it! I had to vote for the original because I have such fond memories of this game. I use to play it on a 9 inch black and white TV as a child, over and over again trying different party combinations. When I found out how great the game looked in color I was agast. The remakes are ok but too easy, though origins on the PS1 lets you choose the original difficulty if you so desire. If the original intact game(ability to attack a dead target and all) was brought the Wii I would buy it immediately.

13. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Voted for IV, but it's really II. Golbez was the Best Villian Ever. He's big, he engages you in fights you can't win (well used in this game), and drops Meteo on you. Plus, cool theme music.

Kefka was a useless, giggling fop. Golbez was behind some real genocide (Mist, Damcyan, Fabul, Mysidia, Eblan - wow, lots of towns got wrecked in that game!)

In fairness to Sephiroth (screw Aeris), he did also destroy your town, kill Tifa's dad, and get within inches of dropping a killer meteor on the whole planet.

The day I went to Funcoland and traded in my SNES FF 3 cart for almost the whole cost of a new copy of Xenogears - best move ever. Game just dragged after the World of Ruin.

14. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Yeah, Golbez was quite evil. More evil than Kefka, the "silent, just mess you up" type. :)

Golbez was a boss that was easier to hate, that's for sure. He did worse to more people than Kefka. Still...

...that's one of the reasons why I liked him. He was so insane he laughed half the time he did anything. I liked that part of his character.

The only time I've ever thought Sephiroth was cool was in Advent Children and that was briefly.

IMO in FFVII he was a big emo pansy, just like Cloud. The only character in FFVII I really liked was Vincent...the rest of them I could've done without. Barrel/Barrett was a stereotypical clichéd idiot, Yuffie was dumb and annoying, Red XIII was alright, Cid was...Cid, Tifa was cute and that's about it, Cait Sith was ok...am I missing any? I can't believe I wasted the 30 hours I did on FFVII before quitting and never going back because I couldn't stand the game anymore.

15. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I really like the original... great idea which set it all in motion, and I like the idea of choosing your party instead of the linear line of characters.

The thing with FFVII was that is was too much... after watching my friend raise and race chocobo for a week I got burned out. damn chocobo! At least the original ones didn't have you wasting your time just to get that "one precious item"

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

VI definitely. I liked IV, but the story was too linear and characters that locked in at certain points in the game made it a bit less fun. If I can't modify my party on the fly then it gets on my nerves.

VI is one of the reasons I kick myself for selling my SNES. I had a game where I was getting all of the spells/lore and rage attacks, and most of the characters almost fully leveled up.

Luckily I have the PS Chronicles disk with VI and Chrono Trigger. And of course the Collection with I&II and the Anthology with IV and V. Too bad the load times irk me a bit when I play, and I don't ever seem to find the time to work my way through...

I just need to work on retiring ASAP so I can start devoting time to the important stuff like games, and maybe a little time with the wife and kids.

17. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Final Fantasy VI had me feeling for the characters more than any other RPG I've ever played; it really brought a depth to the game that was lacking throughout the entire genre.

18. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I did think the part where you have him in your party, fighting the titanic monster in the mountains & he takes it out in 1 shot, was pretty bad-ass.

When did you play II? Before or after III? I've always though II was so good because before that, you had FF I and Dragon Warrior. "Wow, here's FF II, a game with a deep & twisty plot, actual dialogue, actual emotions, ATB, great effects, and lots of unique characters!" It was so superior to everything that came before. I don't think you could "modify your party on the fly" in anything else at the time, at least anything on a comparable technical & narrative level. It was such a sea change - plus, the closest (& last) to a Western-style sword-and-sorcery fantasy, with minimal technical aspects.

19. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

FF6, since that's the only Final Fantasy game I've actually played :eek:

I never owned any of the Sony, Sega, or Microsoft consoles - only Nintendo consoles. I missed out on all the post-FF6 games anyway. Not that I mind, as I prefer something else over Final Fantasy for my RPG needs :p

20. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I actually think Kefka was the best villain in FF history—evil insane clown hell-bent on destruction for no real reason. I mean, he basically destroyed the world JUST BECAUSE HE COULD. That's evil. Sephiroth was just a whiny bitch-boy with mommy issues. Call up Freud and lay down on the couch, pansy. Kefka will just be over here slaying more innocent civilians with his Light of Judgement.

I do think the writing for Kefka was held back by the 16-bit era. I still say that FFVI has the most potential story and character-wise for a complete re-make. As in, **** Final Fantasy XIII, give me a full next-gen 3D re-written version of FFVI—punch up that script and flesh out the characters that had obvious depth but were held back by simplistic writing.

Definitely better than the rest, ESPECIALLY FFVII.

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I played I-III in the order they came out. I never actually competed I, somewhere about 90-95% finished but was borrowing from a friend and had to give it up. I thoroughly enjoyed II(IV) at the time, and played it multiple times through (to have that kind of time again), but III(VI) really won me over. III(VI) ranked almost as high as ChronoTrigger, for me, as far as enjoying the play. Now I've got all the collections for PSone/PS2 and can't find the time to play them and of course I'm a bit put off by the load times from disks when remembering the cartridge days. Because of these I perked up when it was mentioned the the PSP would be getting some PSone titles. I was hoping for a utility to convert some of these over and put them on a Memory stick and play them on the go, but instead it looks like you have to buy them again.

Someday I might have time to go replay them but it won't be for about 18-23 years (barring winning the lottery).

22. Old Mac Geezer macrumors member

I picked 4, SNES version. Cecil and Kain were great characters and the story was really good.