Faxing with Airport

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lsorens, Feb 24, 2004.

1. lsorens macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2004
    Arvada Colorado
    Is it possible to send and recieve faxes with airport? If so how do you set it up? I use a cable modem - do I need to hook up a phone line to airport too?
    I am using a G4 Powerbook with built in airport extreme. I have a graphite airport base station.
    Thanks for any input
  2. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    My understanding is that you need to hook the phone cable up to your airport (meaning you'll need one with a modem). I have heard that there exists software that will allow you to fax over a broadband connection, but I have not run across it yet.
  3. m4rc macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2003
    faxaway.com is just one of the companies who offer email to fax. I use fax machines to send, but all my incoming faxes are recied in my email by using efax - but thats a UK company.

If you want to use the OSX Fax software, you will need to have the airport base ststion with built in modem, and hook that up to a phone line.
  4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

If you want to fax from your computer, you need to use the built-in modem connected to a phone line. If you want to use airport, the base station needs to have a built-in modem connected to a phone line.
    There are other ways, but this is the only way to fax DIRECTLY from your computer.
  5. waterbug macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Re: Fax

So how does one do this? If I have a ABS with a modem, will that show up in my list of modems on my Mac?