FBI Is Taking Another Look at Forged Prewar Intelligence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Dec 3, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-niger3dec03,0,4700538.story

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sounds like the agency already knows what it's going to "find" in the re-opened investigation. a whitewash, perhaps?

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Good point. I don't know what purpose is intended to be served by reopening this investigation. One suspects scape-goating.

4. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i find the timing of this quite interesting. the reopening of the investigation certainly plays into the WH's new counterattack to criticism regarding their use of flawed intel.

so, who would benefit the U.S. most if held responsible for the fake info?

syria
    iran
    venezuela

bets, anyone?

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

My understanding is that the reopening of the case is because many Democratic Senators and Congresspeople pushed for it to happen. The fact the FBI didn't even bother to interview Martino when he was in the states outraged a lot of folks. I don't know that the level of investigation will be much better this time around, but the reopening of the case is a positive thing. It's not as if there isn't much known about the handling of the documents, but who were the original forgers is the central question. How does the FBI force SISMI to fess up on key parts of the mystery when it appears powerful folks in the US and Italy really don't want to know the answer? I don't know, but now is the time to raise a stink about it.

If you want further details on this story, try Joshua Micah Marshall over at Talking Points Memo. He's the one who broke the story in the first place.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Geez, every time someone in the Clinton administration sneezed wrong there was a GOP-led Congressional investigation. Now we've potentially got an administration who may have gone to war when it didn't need to and we can't even get anyone with subpoena power to look into it.

I wonder why that could be?

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Perhaps it is time for Harry Reid to shut down the Senate again?