FBI says public corruption so prevalent, they might run a sting on Congress

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Trib

Isn't that sad -- by which I mean, absolutely pathetic -- that we need for something like this to be done?

I applaud Burrus' efforts (and wonder how long he'll keep his job). OTOH, if he's thinking about running a sting, why notify the intended marks ahead of time?

Gonna get interesting if this actually happens. Probably gonna catch more Republicans than Democrats, too, simply because corruption seems to be more "acceptable" on their side of the aisle...but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they nail some Dems too.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Probably, but that doesn't make as good a defense as it once did, particularly when the corruption on one side is accepted while it's reviled on the other.

3. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i don't care what party they're from. purge them all. the dems and the gop. bust everyone you have a case against, and let the courts sort them out. send a signal that this has gone too far, and drop the hammer.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

As long as the FBI doesnt become a tool for this administration or any one party I say go for it. Congress is one of the most corrupt places on this Earth. But then again if voters were just paying attention they would throw all those guys out during the elections but they dont. They reelect the same Senators over & over & over.

5. Queso macrumors G4

About time. Too many fingers in the till right now. As the public don't seem to care about reigning it in, let the FBI make a few examples. Burst open the nest.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I'll play the ultimate cynic: If you got all the special-interest toadies out of the Congress, there'd be nobody left besides Ron Paul. I guess you could expand that to "out from inside the Beltway".

In Devil's Advocate fairness, though, when you figure how much money it takes to successfully run for election, how can they be other than toadies?

Anybody seen how much this particular campaign has totalled up?

'Rat

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is that when you pull on the reigns? :confused:

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Precisely. The system is optimised for corruption.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm gonna guess, too much.

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'd've said "prostitutes" rather than toadies, but whatever. :D

As far as the cost, I shudder to think of it. In the last weeks I kept reading articles about how the Dems or the Republicans were throwing 3 million into this race or 2 million into that one, all over the United States. And I couldn't help thinking, "You can publish what these guys stand for in the newspapers and on the internet for a helluva lot less, get something more truthful rather than slanderous, and you could use all that money for something like fixing up New Orleans, feeding Darfur refugees, or something else a lot more noble than trying to convince your constituents that your opponent is a Communist who wants to let men marry goats.

What do you think Jesus thinks of that kind of horrible waste of money? :mad:

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Wasn't there a report last week that said newspaper readership is down across the board, and especially amongst the younger set? Whether we like it or not, this country is a nation of TV addicts.

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm not so sure. A fair number of young people aren't watching much TV, and what they're watching tends to be stuff like MTV or The Daily Show...hardly where Republicans (or Dems, for that matter) tend to run a lot of ads. Younger people tend to get their news from the internet, which is why I mentioned it.

13. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

This sounds like a good thing to me. There's so many corrupt politicians, and there are plenty in both parties. I think sometimes though, the Republican party is an easier one to hide in because there's a clear party line for the most part, and as long as you toe the party line properly, no one calls you on anything. We had a horrible Republican senator here in FL that got reelected because we're a heavily Republican district, and no one even bothered to look at him and realize he'd be worse than the Democrat, even from the Republican perspective. I'm a Republican, btw, but I voted for the Dem in that race. I hope this either exposes a lot of the corruption, or has the unlikely result of revealing there's not as much as we thought. If they run this, I'll bet that a large number of Senators have to resign and we'll be having impromptu elections all over the country, which could be a very good thing. In fact, I'd love for enough politicians from both parties to be fingered in some undercover thing like this for people to completely lose all trust in both and for a new party or parties to be able to gain some power. It's about time we got rid of both the current parties, since they don't do any good anyways.

jW

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*cough cough* I heard that there's a white house down on Pennsylvania that is a crack house. *cough cough*

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Most these guys are crooks & Lawyers, even today we have a bunch of Republicans finding out that a bunch of republicans did no wrong concerning Mark Foley and chasing pages. So Republicans investigating Republicans? Does anyone have any doubt no one did wrong? Please This do nothing Congress sucks, I hope the door kicks them in the a.. on the way out.