Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

German soccer club FC Bayern Munich announced a sponsorship deal with Apple Music on Monday, offering exclusive playlists and other content to fans of the team that currently tops the Bundesliga, which is regularly broadcast on TV in over 200 countries.

According to iPhone-Ticker.de, Apple Music is to be regarded as FC Bayern's official music service, with the first playlist already available for download and more content on the way. The club's press release offered further details on what's to come:

FC-Bayern-Apple-Music-1-800x397.jpg
From today, music fans will be able to get even closer to their favourite team and players from FC Bayern Munich with exclusive playlists and content, curated especially for Apple Music. From inspirational and uplifting songs to listen to during training to celebratory playlists post-match, there will be music for everyone to enjoy throughout the season. The first team playlist is available now. Alongside exclusive content and videos, Apple Music will also be FC Bayern Munich's music service of choice.
The press release goes on to highlight the significance of music to both players and fans, noting that Bayern Munich star Mats Hummels appears in TV commercials advertising Deutsche Telekom and Apple Music. The club says it has also signed an agreement with Apple's Beats by Dre to continue as its "official sound partner".

The deal represents the first known partnership between Apple Music and a professional sports team, suggesting sponsorship will play a big part in Apple's drive to strengthen the intersection of technology and popular culture. Apple recently indicated it is seeking ways continue to grow its Apple Music subscriber base by diversifying the service's offerings beyond music and creating original content, to include TV and movies.

Article Link: FC Bayern Munich Announces Apple Music Partnership, Exclusive Content Deal

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
I'd never heard of the FC Bayern Munich team before today nor am I a big sports guy, but this is a very, very cool idea. I can only imagine if I were a fan that it would be even more appealing!

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
I'd never heard of the FC Bayern Munich team before today nor am I a big sports guy, but this is a very, very cool idea. I can only imagine if I were a fan that it would be even more appealing!

For me it's the opposite: I definitely know the club (it's among the top teams in the world), but I can't figure out any way in which this deal would make sense. Ah, well, I'm probably just getting too old for this.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
It's really nothing special. Sports sponsorship's are old hat. Any company with enough money can be an official sponsor. If you pay them enough and you sell sheep, you could be Gleepskip Sheepskins - The Official Sheepskins of FC Bayern Munich or any other sports entity willing to take your cash.
Check out the NFL or the NBA That doesn't even include the individual team sponsors or player sponsors.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
They are the biggest club in Germany and currently one of Europe's (and the worlds) top clubs. They are regarded as an elite club which is usually reserved to only a few clubs. Anyone with any interested in football (soccer) knows of Bayern Munich.
[doublepost=1485868224][/doublepost]
They didn't even have shirt sponsors when I used to go up the Molineux as a kid, just a few advertising boards around the pitch. :D
I have a retro Newcastle United top that has no sponsor. One of my reasons for buying was because of my refusal to wear any NUFC tops with the Wonga sponsor on it. The company I buy them from do loads of teams, including Wolves, www.toffs.com
As it happens I'm off to our game with Wolves in just under 2 weeks time.

Reactions: OllyW

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
We've got also got a pay day loan company plastered on our tops. :(
Our deal comes to an end at the end of the season and they are not renewing it. Hopefully we get a more reputable sponsor so I can go back to buying NUFC tops for match days.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
'official sound partner' The world has gone officially bonkers if a football team requires such a partner.

All football teams do that. The world class elite teams are businesses with fans all over the world and make millions upon millions.
That specific deal just means they are getting some money from Apple and in return they feature Apple Music.
Just another source of income for both.

Attachments

• Bayern Munich.pdf
    80.2 KB · Views: 148

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
You must not pay attention to soccer (football) at all.

FC Bayern Munich is perennially one of the top Bundesliga (the top professional German soccer league) teams and also one of the biggest clubs in all of Europe. The roster is international, so many of the players play for their respective countries' international teams; if you watched any World Cup or Olympic soccer, you would have heard the name FC Bayern Munich during the commentary, seen onscreen graphics, or in written media coverage.

Moreover, manager Carlo Ancelotti is considered one of the most successful soccer managers in professional sports history, this after a storied career as a player. He has previously managed Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea, Milan, and Juventus, all legendary clubs in their respective leagues.

Plus, this is a 116 year old club. They've been around longer than most professional US sports teams.

As others say, this is the same sort of promotional partnerships that professional sports teams all around the world engage in like "Ford is the official truck of the Dayton Bombers."

Still having one of the world's top professional soccer teams showing interest in doing a promotional partnership is a good thing for Apple and provides more opportunity for the team's fan engagement.

Last edited:

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I would love to one day see Apple on the front of a football kit!
I'm not sure they would ever do it. I think Apple's advertising strategy is doing it's job, product placement in a few key TV shows and movies will be far cheaper than sponsoring 1 team. You could argue that Apple products don't need to be advertised as well.
If it did happen though then please let it happen to Newcastle United.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.