FCC Plan: Use vacant TV bandwidth for Internet

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Awimoway, May 14, 2004.

1. macrumors 65816

http://www.nbc5i.com/technology/3304653/detail.html

I don't know how, exactly, this would be implemented, but Internet in my car is the holy grail, as far as I'm concerned. I heard that a startup company is going to be rolling out such a thing fairly soon but it will costs thousands of dollars. No thanks. Perhaps this FCC plan will lead to more reasonable solutions.

2. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i wonder how many years till it gets implemented in teh field

3. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Probably over 10 years. Plans like this always take years upon years of studying, 2 more than needed. Plus, the study will always end up costing millions and millions of needless dollars, up in the range where most people don't really understand how such research can cost so much money. This is generally the nature of research of this sort conducted by companies of this type. ;)

4. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What was missing from the news release posted here is that this is being talked about for low income areas and rural areas only. Not for the whole nation at this time according the news release i say.

A good first start.

It was pointed out that broadcasters are worried about their signal being degraded. Yeah right, most households are on cable in the urban areas anyhow.

5. macrumors P6

wdlove

Increased internet availability can only be a good thing. Competition is what's needed to bring down the high costs. If this is only for rural areas the price will have to be reasonable.

6. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I would be all for the TV "channels" being used by the government for FREE internet wifi type of access. This would be in keeping with the freedom of the airwaves doctrine.