FCC Says 'Private Ryan' Is Not Indecent

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Mar 1, 2005.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

FCC Says 'Private Ryan' Is Not Indecent
    By GENARO C. ARMAS, AP

WASHINGTON (Feb. 28) - ABC's broadcast last Veterans Day of the Oscar-winning war movie "Saving Private Ryan," which contains graphic violence and profanity, did not violate indecency guidelines, regulators ruled Monday.

The film contained "numerous expletives and other potentially offensive language generally as part of the soldiers' dialogue," the Federal Communications Commission said.

"In light of the overall context in which this material is presented, the commission determined it was not indecent or profane," the five-member FCC said in a unanimous decision in denying complaints over the movie.

"This film is a critically acclaimed artwork that tells a gritty story - one of bloody battles and supreme heroism," FCC chairman Michael Powell said in a statement. "The horror of war and the enormous personal sacrifice it draws on cannot be painted in airy pastels."

Some complaints also cited the movie's violence, but the FCC said its indecency and profanity guidelines were not applicable to violent programming.

A spokeswoman for ABC in New York declined comment.

Sixty-six ABC affiliates, covering nearly one-third of the country, ultimately decided not to air Steven Spielberg's movie on Nov. 11 due to skittishness over whether the film would be deemed indecent - even though the FCC in 2002 had already ruled it was not.

ABC broadcast the film uncut in 2001 and 2002. The movie opens with a violent depiction of the D-Day invasion and includes profanity.

The indecency law bars nonsatellite radio and noncable television stations from airing between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. indecent material such as references to sexual and excretory functions. Those are the hours when children are more likely to be watching television.

But not all sexual and excretory references or scenes are considered indecent. The FCC must consider context and its decisions are subjective interpretations of the law.

Powell said the FCC's ruling Monday showed how the agency considers the context of the material before issuing an indecency ruling.

ABC and its affiliates made "a responsible effort" to give viewers "full and wide disclosure" over what was to be shown and heard, allowing families to make well-informed decisions over whether to watch, Powell said.

The FCC, in separate rulings, also denied indecency complaints filed by the Parents Television Council, a watchdog group, against the NBC comedy "Will and Grace" and the Fox comedy "Arrested Development."

On the Net:

Federal Communications Commission: http://www.fcc.gov

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

To even think 'Saving Private Ryan' is indecent is offensive. War isn't just valour, bravery and 'precision bombing'. It's people dying in really horrible ways and it's about time we stopped glossing over that uncomfortable fact.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Well put.

Most who have seen the face of death in war, never want to see it again. It is not Hollywood. It is real, violent, and graphic. "Saving Private Ryan" gives a small picture into what horrors service members see in battle...and try to forget.

Sushi

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I'm so happy the FCC approves. Now I can finally watch it ... yeh, right.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Instead of this movie, they play some claptrap like the Audie Murphy story.. :confused:

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Hmm.. so they can show body parts being realistically blown off in a dazzling display of blood, smoke and artillery fire, but they can't show a nipple? The FCC has one eff'd up policy.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think this was in the context of Veteran's Day.. and since there's no Nipple-Ho day, there's no good context for showing it. Or is there? What day is the Pimp Awards on?
    But yes, an F'd up policy for sure.

8. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Thanks, again, Mr. Bush. Whoops! I just told myself last night not to post on non-tech threads; I usually end up making someone angry or something.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i second that ,but i quite enjoy watching Dirty Dozen when shown on TV)

(and i'm looking forward to see the Band of Brothers re-run in the german television..sadly i missed a lot of episodes when being aired on swiss TV)

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think the shrub would support anything on TV that promoted war and violence. I bet if Janet had a tattoo of a soldier shooting innocent civilians on her tit, it wouldn't have been a big deal.

11. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

This is the most unbelievable movie I have ever seen. In fact, I've seen it twice in the past two weeks (having had to drive 1 hr each way). I saw it with my girlfriend and then a buddy who was in town from the west coast.

Some people might be intimidated by a 2.5 hr subtitled flick but this movie, I believe, is a must-see.

I think I should start a thread...