FCE Capture Help Please :)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by e²Studios, Jan 7, 2006.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Ok well i know in iMovie along with the version of another manufacturers NLE application all i really had to do is use the capture feature and it would take the footage form my XL1 and put them neatly in clip form.

I decided today to jump in to using FCE and when i went to capture it did indeed capture but it didnt capture as clips, it was once huge clip. I have no desire to edit/cut my own clips and when i use the camera i am conscious of when i know a clip would be made.

How do i make FCE give me the capture in clips and not just one huge video file? I am quite frustrated at the moment, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I don't remember what it's called exactly, but I'm pretty sure FCE has a "scene detection" feature where it creates a new clip every time the camera stopped recording. Have you tried digging around in the manual?

3. kwajaln macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2004
    Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but until you get a better solution, how about capturing into iMovie first and then importing the individual clips into FCE? I have done this, so I know it works.
  4. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    I was just about to post that i found it in my manual

"after you capture a clip, you can simply select it and choose DV Start/Stop Detection from the Mark menu. The program will scan the footage for scene breaks and create a placeholder, called a marker, for each. To view the resulting segments, control-click in the browser and choose View As List from the contextual menu that appears -- in general, a list view is a better, more functional choice."

Ill have to try this again as I am importing my video again since i though i did it wrong the first time.. doh.. live and learn... I tried to look thru the manual but i get antsy when i get stressed so i failed to see the page i later found..

Hopefully this works and i can see my clips :D