FCE - how to break up a meadia file?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ChrisA, Dec 18, 2006.

1. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'm actually reading the Final Cut Express user manual. Some place down around page 251 it reads....

I can not figure out how to do the "break the media file into smaller media files" part.

What I'd like to do is
    1. capture the whole DV tape to the scratch disk
    2. make a bunch of subclips
    3. break up the big media file
    4. Delete the parts of the media file that I don't need (that are used by none of the subclips)

I know I can get the same effect by making some in and out points before I capture but scrubbing the physical tape is to slow

I'll be happy if you just give my a page number to read. I've looked

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Dont have it open but if you clip the parts you do need and place them in the timeline than right click them there should be an option to make it an independent file or somethin rather.

3. patsherr macrumors newbie

FCE - how to break up a meadia file? Reply to Thread

ChrisA,

Some time ago you posted the above question. Were you able to find out how to do it?

The user manual states that one should be able to do it but makes no reference to it: ie

Lengthy media files can be unwieldy for editing. If you
    capture an entire tape as a single media file, you can break
    the clip into shorter subclips.You can also break the media
    file into smaller media files.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

4. jla930 macrumors member

Put your long clip into the Viewer. In the Mark menu, select DV Start/Stop Detect. This will place markers at each place where your camcorder stopped and started. Then in the browser, click the little black triangle next to the name of the large clip to show all the newly created segments. Select the segments, then go to the Modify menu and select Make Subclip. These new clips will appear in your browser.

5. midge50 macrumors newbie

Could you also take the larger file, open in Quicktime, then TRIM the parts yo want to work with? Seems pretty easy way to get the parts that you want to use and dump everything else quickly.