FCE on 1.5GHz Intel Core Solo Mini?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tommyhonda92, Dec 11, 2006.

1. tommyhonda92 macrumors newbie

I am interested in trying out the Final Cut Express HD program on my mini as described in the thread title. My mini currently only has 512MB of ram. Is my mini going to be able to run this program? The reason I ask is because of the minimum spec requirements given by apple for this program:

System Requirements:
    -Macintosh computer with 500MHz or faster PowerPC G4 or G5 (550MHz for PowerBook G4) or Intel Core Duo
    -512MB RAM
    -Display with 1024-by-768 (or higher) resolution
    -An AGP or PCI Express graphics card compatible with Quartz Extreme
    -Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later
    -QuickTime 7.0.4 or later
    -HDV features require 1GHz or faster processor and 1GB of RAM (2GB recommended)
    -500MB disk space required for applications; additional 16GB of additional storage space for Soundtrack and LiveType content (can be installed on separate disks)
    -DVD drive for software installation

The only spec that my mini does NOT meet is the "Intel Core Duo" spec. Is this the limiting factor in why it may not run? I do have an external 250GB harddrive and DL DVD burner so I shouldn't have a problem with space for editing my video. I realize that this program probably won't run the fastest with my mini, but I would like to try. I have been really enjoying using iMovie, but am realizing the limited use this program has, and would like to step it up a notch.

Note: all of my video editing is being done for my personal use of basically editing my home video for personal/family/friends enjoyment. And none of it will be in HD, only regular DV with my Canon ZR400.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You also don't meet the GPU requirements. I don't have any personal experience, but it may be a struggle. :eek:

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

He mis-quaoted the system requirements. Here it is cut and pasted from the Aple web site:

So Apple says the Mac MIni GPU is fine. Also if a 500Mhz G4 is enought CPU then I'd guess a 1.5Ghz Core Solo would do fine.

4. stagecustom macrumors regular

I just finished up a project in FCP 5.1 on my 1.5 SOLO with 512mb ram. wasn't too bad. some frame drops and stops in playback but other then that i found it to be great. so express should run well.