FCE on a MacBook Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Caitlyn, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Hi guys!
    I have been watching the features of FCE on Apple's website and I think I could really use them. They are not too advanced like FCP, but more advanced than iMovie. It looks great.

My only question is, if I have a MacBook 2GHz with 2GB RAM will it run alright? Apple's website says that MacBooks GMA 950 graphics are supported by Final Cut Express.

I really would enjoy a MacBook + Apple Cinema Display setup, but I don't want to sacrafice power here. Would the ACD slow down FCE?

Some opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    -Caitlyn :)

2. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

Final Cut Express should run great on your MacBook. Video editing doesn't really use 3D acceleration so just about any video card will be fine. The ACD should be fine. You might notice that the computer runs a tiny bit slower at high resolutions because repainting windows takes longer, but I don't think it will be enough to bother you.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I have FCE 1.0 running under Rosetta - so you should be A-OK

4. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, okay. I'd love to hear of other MacBook users using FCE. :)

So, would a 23" ACD make it worse as opposed to a 20"?

5. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

it runs fine
    and the 23 inch is ok but it might slow it down a bit id get a 20 inch and some random extra.

6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

make sure you have a mini dvi to dvi adapter.

7. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I currently have 2GB. I'm just debating on whether FCE will run okay with it, which it sounds like it will and if the extra 3" on a 23" ACD would make it slower...Thoughts?

8. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

Final cut should run fine with the extra monitor. You might just get a little lag when triggering expose or dashboard.