FCE on an iBook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Matt Phoenix, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Matt Phoenix macrumors regular

I was browsing the Apple Store, and noticed that with a student discount, you can get Final Cut Express for $150, which is a nice deal. The only thing is, I don't have a top of the line Mac, but rather an iBook (specs in signature). Do any of you have any experience running FCE on an iBook? How well did it work out?

2. Demoman macrumors regular

I have run Final Cut Pro on my Powerbook G4 with one issue noted below. My processor is the 1.5 and I have the same RAM as you do. My drive is an 80GB and that IS an issue for me, and probably you too. If you are going to capture video, you will definitely be challenged for storage. What I did was get an external LaCie FW800 drive. Actually, I have a 250GB I carry with the laptop and I transfer finished video to a network drive when I get home. Of course, the drive requires a power source and will add a couple pounds in carrying weight.

Another consideration, if using an external drive and using it to store your default raw capture media files, you will not be able to work without the drive connected. Your capture footage will be off-line. You can copy the media file to your internal hard drive, do your editing. Final Cut does not alter the source media file, so you can delete it from your hard drive as necessary (assuming you did not delete the original one on the external drive). If it sounds complicated, it really is not.

3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

FCE will be fine on that iBook. Rendering will just take a while.

If you have en ext. HDD, use it for capturing your footage. Otherwise, you'll fill up that internal drive quickly and that mucks up everything.

4. Matt Phoenix thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I should have mentioned, I do have a 250GB external HD, with a 60GB partition devoted to a backup of my laptop's HD, and the other partition devoted to video files and such.

Thanks for the help guys! I might have to buy the program sometime soon.