FCE v iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by inquisitive, Mar 13, 2007.

1. inquisitive macrumors newbie

inquisitive

Hi,
    I did a lot of video editing in school with FCP on a G4. I'm looking to buy a Mac for personal use (probably an iMac) and would like to digitize and burn some home videos to DVD. I just want to do simple editing, titles and a DVD menu.
    1) Can iMovie do this or do I need to look into FCE/P
    2) Will the 20" iMac handle editing well or do I need to consider a Pro?
    Thanks!

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I use iMovie and find it limited. FCE is essentially everything FCP without the ability to produce a high end pro product. It comes with Soundtrack and Live Type and through March 27th you can get it for $99 with any Mac. This is a way better deal than an edu copy, since edu copies don't qualify for upgrades. Knowing that you have used FCP, their is no learning curve, so it is really a no brainer. I am planning on making the jump to FCE as soon as I get my new Mac. I'm waiting for Leopard though. The 20" iMac will do you fine, you don't need a Mac Pro, but don't forget your RAM.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Wait For iMovie '07 & Leopard To Ship With Your First Mac

If you go to a bookstore, you will see that iMovie is a lot more powerful than it appears on the surface. I would wait for iMovie '07 to ship with Leopard before buying your first Mac.

4. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Wait for leopard and iLife '07, because i don't think leapard will be released before March 27th so you will have to pay full price for FCE anyway.

5. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

By all means, get FCE! If you are already familiar with the Final Cut series, you will feel insanely limited by iMovie. I've used both (FCP, actually), and there's no way I'd go back. For $99 and with your prior Final Cut experience, this is a no brainer.

- Martin

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

$199 for FCS 5.1UB From Old FCP & PPC Parts Of FCS

Of if you can find a copy of FCP 4/4.5 of a PPC part of Studio you can get Final Cut Studio 5.1UB for only $199 more.

Postmark DEADLINE Monday March 19.

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

You are the man. Thanks for the heads up. Just mailed my FCP 4 install disc out yesterday.