Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vgd09, Sep 30, 2003.

1. vgd09 macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2003
    So, I was wondering what your guys opinions were on Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro 4.

I'm a soon-to-be Mac user and I'm looking into Apple's line of video editing software. I mostly do light home projects, so I think Final Cut Express will have all the funcionality I need but I really like the features included with Final Cut Pro (4) especially LiveType and the compression utility.

What is the titling like with Final Cut Express? Can you possibly get LiveType w/ Final Cut Express? Which would you recommend for me?

I would like to learn Final Cut Pro if thelearning curve isn't too bad, and do some heavy-duty projects

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Re: FCE vs. FCP

I would get FCE and upgrade to FCP if/when you out grow FCE.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Are you a student? The educational prices change the picture for people making this decision.
  4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    You said you're a soon-to-be Mac user; if you're going to be buying a new computer direct from Apple, you can get a copy of Final Cut Express with your computer order for $99.

Aside from being a really good deal, that'll let you try out FCE for cheap at the very least.

So far as I know, you can still do the upgrade to FCP with that version (I just got it that way myself, and as far as I can tell it seems to be the normal boxed version--shipped way before the computer, in fact), in which case you'd still save $200.
  5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

I agree with the others. Start with FCX, use it as a trainer.

FCP is the 800-pound gorrilla. Most pros I know don't use all of it - the entire suite (that's right, a suite) is 10gbs+ (that's gigabytes), and supports HD, Secam, 24p, 24p-30ipulldown, Beta, and a slew of stuff too much to go into from here.
  6. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    FCE comes with a great DVD that can help get a new user up to speed on how to use the software. I just got the software and watched the video today... Now I feel comfortable working on a real project.