Fcn keys to cut, copy and paste

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flyfish29, Mar 18, 2004.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

This may be a very stupid question, but I couldn't figure it out. Is there a way to assing the function keys on my iMac to do things such as cut, copy and paste. I have had programs in the past that have this feature, but didn't know if there is a way to globally assign things to these keys.

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Go to System Preferences-> Keyboard & Mouse-> Keyboard shortcuts. Click the plus icon below the listbox. Choose All Applications, then 'Cut' for menu title, and then type a function key in keyboard shortcut. Repeat with copy and paste. I think this only works with Panther.

3. mms macrumors 6502a

JW, what is wrong with Cmd-C, X, and V? I have always used those and they work fine for me. Are you referring to function keys as in the F1 to 12 in the top of the keyboard?

4. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Doing command-c,x and V works great, but is very hard on the hands. To do it with one hand is called splaying which is one of the things that can directly lead to carpel tunnel syndrome. Using two hands makes you remove one from the mouse. I just want simply function button access to my most used commands such as cut, paste and copy.