FCP 4.5 HD to FCS 5.1... worth it?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by OldCorpse, Jun 5, 2006.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I have FCP 4.5 HD, and it's been sufficient for my needs. What am I missing by not upgrading to FCS 5.1, if my needs have not changed appreciably? Will I be able to edit a lot more efficently with FCS 5.1? I work with mini dv, 1-2 hr projects. Is upgrading worth it to someone in my position?

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I would say definitely yes, especially considering the special upgrade pricing going on right now. I think the audio editing/enhancement capabilities of Soundtrack Pro plus getting DVD studio pro are easily worth the $199 it costs right now.

Plus there is the need to stay up-to-date with your software in general. Even if there is nothing that you especially need in version 5, when version 6 comes out, there very well may be something that will be essential for you. You never know what the upgrade options will be at that time. Apple may not offer and upgrade from the version you have now and you'd have to pay the full price. Moving up from FCS 5 is sure to be the cheapest way to upgrade in the future.

EDIT: Also, the ability to keep the program data files of Soundtrack, Motion, and DVDSP are very useful for those of us with laptops, and i see you're working with an iBook.

3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I wouldn't upgrade if you don't need too, and don't worry about future upgrade paths. You can still upgrade from FCP 1.0 to FCP 5.1 for only $599.
    Probably the biggest upgrade from 4.5 to 5 is native HDV support. Which means zilch if you don't shoot HDV.

I ran FCP 3 until last summer (3yrs total) and only upgrade because I took over an edit that had started on 4.5. And then 6 months later I upgraded to 5 to work on a short shot on HDV. Both times paying clients "founded" my upgrades, and that's really the only reason I'll upgrade any of my software or equipment (if a paying client has a need that my current gear can't meet).

Lethal

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I'm in a similar situation, although I have FCP production suite (4.5) so I already have the programs, just not the latest version. the kicker for me is that, since i'm a student, i can upgrade from an academic serial to a retail one for only $199... although i really don't know if after college my academic serial will really hold me back from anything.