FCP 4.5 on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrgreen4242, Nov 29, 2006.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

We've got a new mac pro in the office and we're still waiting on our crossgrade/upgrade to FCPStudio 5 Universal to arrive. In the meantime, is there a way to get FCP4.5 to run via Rossetta? It errors out on startup because it cannot find a compatible processor (G3 or G4 400mhz or above or whatever). I'm sure the Mac Pro will run tollerably even with Rossetta if 4.5 will work on a G4 400mhz... not doing anything to elaborate, but would like to get started ASAP.

Thanks!

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

'Fraid not. Final Cut and its related apps from the pre-Universal era were some of the ones specifically cited as not being functional at all on the Mac Pro. Internal hardware checks for processor and graphics card will error out. You'll just have to sit tight I'm afraid.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You can check the status of your crossgrade at http://www.apple.com/uptodate/inquiry. I just mailed my crossgrade off last Wednesday, and today received a shipping confirmation notice.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

My guess is that Rossetta can't handle "real time". Video, unlike office software needs to have exact timing Frames need to be displayed every 33.4 milliseconds, not sometimes at 28ms and 40ms for other frames.

5. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Thanks for that link... I mailed ours in today, since it's only going from MI to IN it should get there tomorrow or Friday at the latest. The form claims a 1 business day turn around time, so I'm hoping it's here early next week.

Oh well, I guess they will have to wait for a little bit longer! On a related note, can anyone recommend a good DVD Studio Pro resource, be it a book or some online tutorials, etc?

Thanks!

6. JohnMC macrumors 6502

The best DVDSP book i have found is made for Apple. The title is "DVD Studio Pro 4" from the Apple Pro Training Series. The best part is this is an Apple Certified Pro Book meaning after you complete all the training you can take the Apple Certified Pro Test.

JohnMC