fcp 5.0.4 using HDV 1080i60 codec in easy set-up with sony HDV camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mashinhead, Dec 26, 2005.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Hello!
    No "preview" image in the window of the log and capture area.
    I can't log and capture any of the clips. When i set the codec in
    Easy Set-up to DV NTSC, i get a super-wacky image that looks
    likes interlacing gone wild.
    Any thoughts?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You are using the wrong presets. You need to set it for "HDV" not "DV".

Lethal

3. mpstrex macrumors member

mpstrex

A couple of annoying things about 5.0.4--they addressed the Sony HDV compressor 2 issue, but now when you hit export, quicktime conversion, mpeg2 is gone. But you can set it all up in compressor 2.

Another is I still don't think they have playback to an external monitor unless you're printing to tape. They need to get that fixed. I think the darkening-of-one's-video Apple Intermediate Codec allows playback, but I'm not sure.

mpstrex

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You can't preview HDV via FW on an external monitor because of the GOP (group-of-pictures) nature of the HDV compression. To put it simply, when you edit HDV natively you disrupt the compression cadence into patterns that make the signal unreadable to HDV devices (cameras/decks) which is why you can't preview via FW like you can w/DV (which uses a different compression method). But when you go to "print to tape" a render happens (although they don't call it a "render") which "fixes" the compression cadence and makes the HDV signal readable to HDV devices. Until computers get faster enough to do this in realtime (which I don't think is soon) or there is third party hardware acceleration you won't be able to preview HDV on a monitor like you can DV. It's a limitation of the codec.

Lethal

5. mpstrex macrumors member

mpstrex

Yes, it's wonderful to edit in the long-GOP format (I or Intra-frame every 15 frames, followed by a P or Predictive frame or a B or Bi-Directional frame that reference the I frame, hence an HD signal embedded in an mpeg2-ts and on a mini-dv tape) natively, but it's a bummer that I'd have to buy a $1000 capture card just to be able to preview on an external monitor. The science of HDV, however, is interesting.

Ever notice how when you do a render, it conforms to HDV in Final Cut Pro?

mpstrex

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think my favorite part about HDV is that Canon, Sony, and JVC are using different versions which are incompatible w/each other (i.e. you can't shoot a tape in the JVC HDV camera and have it playback in a Sony HDV camera or deck).

Lethal

7. mpstrex macrumors member

mpstrex

I agree. Technically, I can capture HD10 and HD100 (30p only) footage from a Sony and the new JVC deck can capture 1080i60 (don't know about 50). It really started when they were hammering out HD's specs and someone realized that, until the 1080i becomes a norm, 720p can be used. Most computer monitors were 720p at the time and it was easy just to do it.

Canon HDV works well with sony in 1080i60/50, but not 30f, 25f and 24f (glad they're not claiming to be progressive; wish JVC would admit they're not truly progressive). Hopefully Sharp will just put out a camera that's compatible with Sony, since they're dominating with 4 cameras. Especially the Z1 and FX1.

mpstrex

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

newbie HD question:

I've looked at the Sony HDR-FX1 and think I might be getting this. I'll have two Dell 24" displays and they have multiple inputs, component, svideo along with the monitor connections. Could taking the video out from the camera and hooking it up to one of the monitors while you're downloading it to the G5 in FCP on the other be a work around on this no preview issue?

D

9. mpstrex macrumors member

mpstrex

I think you can see it while playing back from camera, capturing and print-to-tape. What you need is a "de-coder" of sorts, which could be something like a DeckLink (www.decklink.com) or AJA (www.aja.com) HD card. What stinks is if you're never going to capture uncompressed HD, it's almost a waste...

mpstrex

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The sony HDR-FX1 only has firewire, s-video and composite(mini) - so I don't think that those cards are an option. But like I said, the Dell LCD monitors allow for S-Video, so I think it will work.

D

11. mpstrex macrumors member

mpstrex

Only in capture, playback from tape and print from FCP to tape, not while you're editing. The cards decode, so to speak the long GOP (group of pictures) of the HDV "signal," because FCP allows you to cut into the native m2t files. The card decodes and sends the signal via component out to your playback monitor, be it HD or otherwise.

You will no longer be going out of the firewire to camera or deck then to the monitor, but out of a card to your monitor.

Forgive me for sending you to another forum, but this is something discovered by a friend of mine:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=51574

mpstrex

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, I see - which is interesting - just more ways to spend your money now :D

D

13. mpstrex macrumors member

mpstrex

Yeah, it stinks! :eek:

mpstrex

14. fcpexplorer macrumors newbie

I see this thread is 2 years old. I'd like to know if it's now possible to view hdv files on an external monitor without additional video cards on the latest G5 mac with fcp.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If your Mac is fast enough (I don't k now if a G5 is) you can view a down-converted, DV signal from you HDV timeline via FW. Viewing HDV via FW is still not possible.

Lethal