Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lundo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
NYC
Setting up a new G5 with PCI Express to work with a JVC HD-50U. I'm able to capture 720p clips via FireWire, but having trouble dumping back to tape.

Questions:

1 - During capture, no audio is heard. Is this "normal", if not how to get it?

2 - Playing back clips or timeline, the Black Magic MultiBridge Express monitor output shows first frame, doesn't update in real time, jumps to last frame on stop. Anyone know whassup with this?

3 - To print to tape, the Sequence settings must be set to HDV. I set them to 1280x720, square pixels, HDV QT encoder. And the sequence window and output to tape both produce 720x360 video in a black frame! Can't seem to fix this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
lundo said:
1 - During capture, no audio is heard. Is this "normal", if not how to get it?

2 - Playing back clips or timeline, the Black Magic MultiBridge Express monitor output shows first frame, doesn't update in real time, jumps to last frame on stop. Anyone know whassup with this?
1: Open up your capture window, and check the box for "preview audio" and you should be able to hear it. It's unchecked by default so that audio isn't blaring through your speakers for an hour or more if you're doing a batch capture.

2: This happens to me sometimes... Make sure under View, the option of "display all frames" is selected. If it is and it's still not working, try closing your timeline and reopening the sequence. If that still doesn't work, try adjusting your playback settings. (that last one i don't think will actually help... but it won't hurt to try).

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Are you using an FCP "easy setup" to configure your project? If not, you should use the appropriate "easy setup" (I think that's the term) and see if it fixes your problem.

Lethal

lundo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
NYC
LethalWolfe said:
Are you using an FCP "easy setup" to configure your project? If not, you should use the appropriate "easy setup" (I think that's the term) and see if it fixes your problem.

In the FCP->Audio/Video Settings pane, I've specified the vendor-supplied presets:
Sequence Preset: HDV-720p30
Capture Preset: HDV
Dev Ctl Pst: HDV FireWire
Video Playback: Blackmagic HDTV 720p 60Hz - 8 Bit

There is an "HDV (1280x720) 30 fps" option in the Video Playback popup menu, but it's dimmed. However, this doesn't explain why when I selected the above Sequence Preset the sequence window changed to 720x360 video within a black surround.

???

lundo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
NYC
HDV capture audio preview

pdpfilms said:
1: Open up your capture window, and check the box for "preview audio" and you should be able to hear it. It's unchecked by default so that audio isn't blaring through your speakers for an hour or more if you're doing a batch capture.

That checkbox appears in the Capture Settings pane for other formats, but with HDV FireWire selected, the only thing under Capture Settings is the Scratch Disk selection. No audio preview checkbox anywhere I can find.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
lundo said:
In the FCP->Audio/Video Settings pane, I've specified the vendor-supplied presets:
Sequence Preset: HDV-720p30
Capture Preset: HDV
Dev Ctl Pst: HDV FireWire
Video Playback: Blackmagic HDTV 720p 60Hz - 8 Bit

There is an "HDV (1280x720) 30 fps" option in the Video Playback popup menu, but it's dimmed. However, this doesn't explain why when I selected the above Sequence Preset the sequence window changed to 720x360 video within a black surround.

???

I'd hop over to Blackmagic's site and see what kind of support/boards they have over there. I don't think many/any of the users here (including myself) have any experience w/their cards.

Lethal

lundo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
NYC
LethalWolfe said:
I'd hop over to Blackmagic's site and see what kind of support/boards they have over there. I don't think many/any of the users here (including myself) have any experience w/their cards.

I'm in touch with Blackmagic concering other issues. However, I should think that I could completely disconnect the BM box, and it should have no effect on the local playback behavior of FCP when editing HDV (captured via FireWire). This involves the appearance (720x360) of HDV video material in the Sequence window after making what seem to be the appropriate selections in the Sequence Settings pane.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.