FCP 64 bits?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by P-Worm, Jun 22, 2003.

1. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Is it possible that FCP was secretly optimized for the 970s behind our backs. Sure it has AltiVec, but more speed never hurt anyone.

I personaly can not afford a new machine. I'll probably get one in about 3 years. Meanwhile my Dual 1 Ghz Quicksilver is still chugging along.

P-Worm

2. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Hey thanks for the link Freg3000. That is pretty funny. I bet on Final Cut Pro being enabled and demoed tomorrow. Probably not, but it's ok to bet on hopes when it is not real money right?

P-Worm

4. macrumors 68000

Falleron

I doubt it is fully 64 bit compliant now. However, I reckon that a small update will become available to make it possible to take advantage of the the 64bits. I bet some work has already been done on it.

5. macrumors 68000

e-coli

That "small update" would be several gigs. They'd have to replace nearly all the program files with ones written in 64 bit code.

6. macrumors 68000

Falleron

You dont think that some of the work may have already been done? I do.

7. thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

That's what i am getting at. In fact, I think that nearly all of the work has been done. Tomorrow is going to be exciting on so many levels.

P-Worm

8. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Heh...

I'll see what you all gonna say if there is no 970 introduced tomorrow nor anything that you consider "exciting".
    All these speculations are based on nothing.
    Like they say: "It's better hope for worst and get something good then hope for good and get something bad."

9. macrumors 6502

Technically no. The user PPC instruction set is identical between 32 and 64 bits. Only doing things like loading a 64 bit pointer, or doing explicit 64 bit math are different. I doubt most of the OS needs to be "re-written" anyways. Only some parts of the kernel, device drivers, or anything that needs a wide open memory space would need to have any changes.

The biggest gain would be a recompile, since the 970 scheduler is pretty whacky (5 slot group, 3rd is a branch or something like that) - but this is not necessary. 1.2 Jaguar should run perfectly fine with a few tweaks here and there for support of new devices (including the chipset).

-Wyrm

10. macrumors 6502

Re: Heh...

Apple pretty much confirmed the rumors with their "slip" of the G5 specs. Beyond being a little more than expected, the rumors have been pretty accurate so far. Of course, only a few more hours to wait.

-Wyrm