FCP/After Effects Alpha channel

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Espnetboy3, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Ok, I have researched but cant seem to figure out how to create a video with an alpha channel. I did the png or tiff and even animation with millions plus but no where can i see an option to create an alpha channel. I downloaded boxer footage from ribbitfilms.com and they have him with a green screeen behind him. After the download its pure black and only the boxer already keyed I guess. What steps must I take to be able to use this keyed footage and be able to lay a background to the boxer?
    Basically i need to know how to make a an alpha channel. I also created a white title in AE but it has that stock black background. I believe i need to make this an alpha to be able to overlay just the title on other video.
    please help

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Woot! A compositing question! (Its been a while since I've whipped out After Effects)

Anyways, after keying and you want to render... Go to your render queue, and make sure its a QT movie, and in the channels dropdown, select RGB+Alpha, and of course make sure that the codec you use to render is Animation with millions+, and render. FCP should know what kind of file its dealing with, and you'll only see your boxer.

Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

3. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

O ok thanks a lot. I didnt realize no matter what you had to key the title, picture or whatever. I thought it was like photoshop where if you didnt put a solid in then it was a transparent background. I actually have 2 more questions while we are talking. First is there a shortcut in FCP to move from the canvas to timeline to browser to viewer? Almost to scroll though them. How do you render out something in fcp as an alpha channel? Some poeple told me to use png or tga or something.

Last but not least, what is the filters color offset and compound arithmatic do? They have some rgb and alpha options in them. Thanks again

4. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone know a shortcut to navigate through fcp. Lethal Wolfe u must know.