FCP and AE FireWire Preview

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DVDSP, Mar 16, 2003.

1. DVDSP macrumors regular

I'd like to preview my FCP and After Effects work on my NTSC monitor and I've read that you can plug the FW cable into the camera and attach the camera to the monitor (which I've done) but I can't seem to get the video out of the Mac.

I've set up AE for FW preview but it still is not working. I figure there must be a setting on the camera but I have yet to find it.

My DV cam is a Sony DCR-TRV17 and I'm running AE and FCP on a PM Dual 800 G4.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Does it play on the camera and not on the TV or just not on the TV? Maybe you need to hit "pause + record" on the camera?

Lethal

3. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Neither

It doesn't play on the camera or the TV. I've tried record & pause but there was no change, and after about 2 minutes of r&p it just stops anyway.

It's a little frustrating.

Thanks,

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just for an "idiot check" under Final Cut Pro->Audio/Video settings->external video you have "Apple firewire NTSC" selected. And under View->external video you have "all frames" selected." what you might have to do is shut down, plug attach the firewire camera and reboot. Are you able to capture from the camera onto the computer?

Also, I didn't think that you could output from AE directly over FW on a Mac (I know you can w/some 3rd capture cards and a plugin).

Lethal

5. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't tried yet in FCP but it's basically the same in AE (where I happen to be working currently) and it has not been working.

Yes, but NOT when it's connected to the monitor. Odd.

It's been possible since AE 5.0. I don't know if Adobe acquired the technology from EchoFire but AE now does the same thing that the EF plug-in used to. I used to preview this way through my Targa video board but it doesn't have OS X drivers and I don't like going back to OS 9 unless I have to.

Thanks for your continued suggestions,