FCP and Soundtrack Compatability

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pdpfilms, Nov 19, 2006.

1. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Howdy-
    I'm working on a project in FCP, and need to do some audio work. The way I've done this in the past is by right clicking on whatever the item is (sequence, clip, sound byte, etc.) and selecting Send To > Soundtrack Pro Multitrack File. This works fine, I can see whatever it is in a new multitrack file where I can edit and add effects. But what do I do next? I thought that when you saved the file and went back to FCP, you're prompted to approve the file update, after which all your changes show up in the sequence. But they don't- when i click save, Soundtrack saves the .smtp file, and nothing changes in FCP. What am I doing wrong, and what do I need to change?

Thanks.

2. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

3. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

What I've been doing is saving the SoundTrack file as a .aiff and just importing that into FCP and dropping it right on the timeline. It syncs up perfectly.

4. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

yea i dunno if it is possible. if it is, i don't know how. i also didn't know that soundtrack pro was destructive. that got me into some trouble before.. now it is just pissing me off.

5. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Hm. Good to know.

But just the other day I did it on my buddy's MBP. Export to soundtrack pro, edit, auto-import back into FCP. Maybe this only works for non-multitrack projects?

6. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

when i said destructive, i meant that when i cleaned up the audio from the files and saved them, it actually saved the changes onto the file, instead of saving a stp change file, which just lists the changes done to the audio.