FCP Errors Agains

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by illegalprelude, Oct 17, 2005.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

[​IMG]

FCP crashes everytime when 2 firewire devices are hooked up, being my External HDD and a MiniDV deck. its weird. does my system not have enough power to run it? but if FCP loads, then I plug the device, I think it works, or it has so far but might crash again?

I also get this warning everytime I open FCP

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What happens if you just have the deck plugged in? And when both are plugged in are they daisy-chained or does each device have it's own port?

Lethal

3. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

lol you are A. my savior as always man and B. FCP just hates my guts :(

each is plugged into a different port. 1 to the back of the comp, 1 to the front.

my temp. fix is that now im plugging in the external HDD via USB and just not using one of the firewire ports.
    Could my computer have a power issue because I know my 2 USB slots in the back of the PM and the Monitor are used. I have my mouse into my keyboard and it leave 1 USB on the keyboard open. even if I plug a thumb drive into it or my iPod dock, it says not enough power to run them....

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't think it should be a power thing sense the DV deck doesn't draw power from the Mac. Have you done the usual (Trashing prefs, repairing permissions, zapping PRAM, etc.,)?

What happens if both FW ports are in use and you launch iMovie? Any errors or do things run fine?

Lethal

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Is this on your Power Mac G5? I used to get this all the time on my rig when I plugged more than one or two FW devices in...it's like the bus is overloaded and just doesn't recognize anything. The weird thing was that when I had my HDD's plugged in and an iPod plugged in...it was fine. But when I plugged my deck into the last FW port, everything would disappear, but I wouldn't get the "Device Error: You unplugged a device without ejecting it first...you DOLT!" message. Could provide some more insight to your troubles.

6. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

wow...just amazing. I have 1 FW port free, the 1 port on the apple monitor USB is keyboard, the other is my iPod dock. Back of the G5 1 USB is to my Sony digital Camera dock (witch is off like my iPod) and the other is to my UPS. 1 USB in the front is hooked up to my external HDD and 1 firewire port is going to my Mini DV deck. The computer cannot handle them... I just unplugged all the other stuff. system runs just fine. No error. No "cannot detect". All those devices werent even being used :mad:

So I just got my Deck to Firewire and my External HDD to USB and thats it and things are fine. Is this a problem with my PM G5? I know it has 1 other issue (Ethernet card from day 1 has been loose so if you slightly whiggle the comp, you loose net connection and gotta play around with the ethernet cord and ive tried 10 diff. cords so i know its the card) I just havent been able to send it to the shop (still have 2 years on my applecare) cause of this damn project im on.

but u guys think it could be the G5? I mean, I dont think im asking too much from it...

7. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, ive done all the good old usuall stuff. iMovie works just fine. its just FCP and I JUST installed this program and have the latest updates too.

update too, after I got done with dumping a take, FCP froze, I tried to Force Quit it a good 20 times and it still wouldnt close or let me reopen so I rebooted and now, its giving me that same warning I have posted before. This time, my External HDD and Deck are off too ...

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, this is starting to sound like a deeper issue. You might try an exorcism next. ;)

I'd troll around the Apple FCP support boards and see if there are any others w/similar problems.

Lethal

9. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I wonder if my boot in the side of my G5 would be considered Exorcism. and why is it, I always get problems when I got aproject due by end of the week, Apple Gods hate me!

Let the trolling commence though and any idea what their forum url is? I did a search on google, they all seem kinda wacky.

hah, found it on apples on site. how tricky!
    http://discussions.info.apple.com/finalcutpro/

for others who want it

10. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, not a damn diff. did a manual uninstall of quicktime. did some preference deleting. did a bunch of stuff and no go on any of them. From my reading though, atleast I see its not my Mac. It seems that this is some sort of software issue from apples side. guess their too busy to address it though