FCP files into iDVD?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DrRock, Nov 17, 2005.

1. DrRock macrumors regular

Can I do it? I have DVD Studio Pro, but I just want to make a quickie DVD with a generic menu from iDVD. I've already compressed the file into mpeg2, as I would do with DVD SP, but now I can't seem to get it into iDVD. I tried putting it into Imovie first, but I keep getting told that I'm low on disk space. Should i re-compress it into a quicktime? If anyone can help, I'd be eternally grateful. I want to send my mom home tomorrow with a DVD of her new granddaughter, and I need help! Thanks!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What you need to do is make a FCP reference movie. Export to a QT movie and make the "make movie self-contained" box is NOT checked. Then drag that file into iDVD.

Lethal

3. DrRock thread starter macrumors regular

^

Thanks, Lethal! That worked. I had a hell of a time figuring out not to add a function to play automatically. I can't believe it's set up so it's actually two separate movies. Anyway, thanks again!

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Glad I could help. I'm not sure what you mean by "...setup so it's actually two separate movies" though.

Lethal

5. DrRock thread starter macrumors regular

^

Well, you know how iDVD has the option in the mapping page to "drag the media here to play automatically on start"? When I did that, it doubled my disc size. I eliminated the problem by simply deleting that option. You have to go thru the menu to play the disc, and it won't start automatically, but that's fine.

In DVD SP, if I recall correctly, you have the option of having it play at startup, but you don't need to have the media file on the disc twice. In iDVD, I couldn't figure out how to do that, but no big deal. Thanks again for the help. I swear, I get more help from forums than I do from manuals or help menus.

6. DrRock thread starter macrumors regular

Another issue with iDVD

Ok, so this program (or maybe it's me) keeps getting more and more retarded. I have my DVD menu setup, and I have one "Play video" button and one "play slideshow button, each with corresponding media. How do I remove the existing video, and replace it with an updated version? There doesn't seem to be a way to do it. I can delete the whole "play video" folder, but when I try to create a new one, it creates a whole new menu tier. I don't want that. I simply want to replace the existing video. I can't seem to click and drag the original video clip away, like I can with photos. Any help would be a lifesaver. Thanks!

Edit: Ok, well I went ahead and fixed it by renaming the new file, and putting it into the folder (on my HD, not the menu) that had the original one it and that worked. If anyone has an official way to do it though, that would be great!