FCP Hardware Setup

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kirk.davis, Apr 25, 2006.

1. kirk.davis macrumors newbie

What are peoples thoughts on an optimum RAM configuration for FCP? I'm running a MBP with (soon) 1.5GB RAM and a PowerMac Dual 2.0 G5 with 1.5GB RAM, would I see a benifit to upgrading the PM?

Also, when it comes to disk configuration, am I better off with an external USB2 \ Firewire Hard Drive?

Thanks y'all in advance :cool:

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well in general, you don't want your system disk to be the one you store your media on. so if you don't have a second internal drive, or if you don't want to get one, then yes, an external firewire (fw 800 is ideal) drive would be good. i'd recommend a second internal, unless you have any desire for the media/drive to be portable... you really shouldn't see a problem running off any modern external drive. of course, if you're going to work with hd or some other high end stuff that requires more bandwidth, you'll have to upgrade...

for fcp and ram, i haven't noticed any real problems with my dual g5 with 1.5 gb. i would say that if you plan to use motion, or if you use fcp while other stuff is open, it would be very beneficial to throw another gb or two in there. i'm not 100% sure, but the ram amount you have may affect the ability to do real time effects, etc... though i think that the graphics card is a big part of that, as with motion.

for after effects and other such apps, ram is a huge deal.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Pretty much what JSR said. If you bounce between apps and you notice things slow down (programs not as responsive, it takes a second or two for the Mac to redraw the program windows) then you probably need more RAM.

And you should be using external or internal drives to store media files on, not your main HDD.

Lethal