FCP HD problem/question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaykub, Oct 16, 2004.

1. jaykub macrumors newbie

ok I've been using FCP for about a year now and something weird is starting to happen......when I capture my footage into FCP and play it back for basic editing it plays extremely choppy and the little window pops up that says "frames were dropped....try turning off unlimited RT/lowering your compression data rate/closing open sequences/lower the preferences for real time audio tracks/increase your system speed/diskdrive"

the thing is, this hasnt ever really happened before with any other projects I have worked on....my computer is really fast with a lot of memory (dual 1.8 G5, with a gig of ram)......however about 3 weeks ago I had the logic board re-placed with a new one because my old one (I thought) wasnt importing sound through the line in port on the back, turns out the original logic board was fine, it wasnt capturing audio because I was using the wrong hardware....anyways, I figure that maybe the new logic board has something to do with this problem because this has never happened before I took my computer to the shop.....I'm really confused here....any advice is mucho appreciated

2. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Are you capturing to a shared disk or to a separate disk (or partition). Video editing always works best off of dedicated disks. When your computer was new (and there was less on the disk) the frame dropping was not a problem, but now that there is likely more on the disk the files that are being imported are being scattered in smaller blocks throughout your hard drive. Having to access all of these small segments could be slowing things down.

My suggestion, use a separate drive for your editing (or a make a partition on your existing drive) and this should speed things up a great deal.

If that is not the problem, it is also possible that it is an issue with compression settings on the video that you are importing, but even then with a G5 that shouldn't be the problem.