FCP Highlight Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by leftbanke7, Oct 7, 2005.

1. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I'm cutting together a highlight reel for my youth football team and I was wondering if you gurus could walk me though the process of either darkening the screen and highlighting the player that I want the viewer to focus on (or by using an arrow to do the same thing). Thanks in advance.

James

2. robx2 macrumors member

Using an arrow would be easy. Just make or find a graphic arrow and put it in a layer above the video. You can use the motion tab and keyframes to move it around if you need to.

The highlight is trickier. My first idea would be to use the garbage matte. Basically you'd make a copy of the video clip and put it on the layer above the original. Use one of the garbage matte filters to cut out the player you want to highlight. Then use the brightness/contrast filter or 3-way color correction to darken the lower clip. Render it out and voila.

However, I did find this...http://www.bosfcpug.org/beta/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=58... It's probably closer to what you want to do and looks like fun. Good luck.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That's a good lookin' link. And, leftbanke7, if you don't want to mess w/the keyframes and making the "highlight" follow the player the whole palyer you can always just "highlight" the player before the play then quickly fade the highlight away once the play starts.

Lethal

4. leftbanke7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Spectacular link. Thanks for the suggestions guys!