Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I've successfully exported a 15 minute movie I made in FCP 4 with 8 chapter markers. I say successfully because I can open the movie in QuickTime, and the Chapter drop down menu appears in the lower right hand corner. However, when I drag the movie into iDVD 4, only the movie appears, and no Scene Selection menu is made. It is checked to do so automatically in the preferences.....Help!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 3,255
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 3,346
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 108

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I just made my own thread regarding this issue... It's worked just fine for me in the past, why am I having problems now?

well anyway, guess its nice to know im not the only one having this problem :rolleyes:

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
no, that doesnt work either
according to iDVD, the movie doesnt have chapter markers at all.

anyway, I went ahead and created my disc in DVDSP instead, I just thought that since it was a simple project I would use iDVD. I still would like to figure out what the problem is with iDVD...

rock6079

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
when u made the markers, did u have one track highlighted and then pressed m to make a marker or did u have nothing highlighted at all and jsut click the timeline and click m to make the marker ?

signor cyber

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2004
I logged on for guidance as to how to customise the icon one gets for "Scene Selection" instead of a standard Apple 'folder' icon after adding chapter markers if not using one of Apple's more ornate "themes"plus theme baggage...
Meanwhile I did encounter this problem en route and solved it - here's my $0.02
1. Create project in iMovie or Final Cut Pro
2. Add Chapter Markers
3. Export from FCP as a self-contained QuickTime movie, including 'chapter Markers' (NOT 'All Markera' or it doesn't work!)
OR
3. Use the iDVD button in iMovie to create an iDVD project
4. Import this Q.T. Movie into iDVD
OR
4. Open the iDVD project just created in iDVD
5. The iDVD project will now contain Chapter Markers sufficient to get turned into the appropriate menu items in "Scene Selection" - and you get a "Play Movie" button. (Fail to add markers and you do NOT get a 'Play Movie' button - though clicking on the little movie frame box does play the movie).
6. NB. the 'Chapter Markers' thus created are NOT recognizable in the program that created them! You need the original 'project' file belonging to that program to see those chapter markers, i.e. Exporting the QTMovie + chapter markers produces an encoding of these markers into iDVD markers which are NOT readable as FCP or iMovie markers
7. This 'just' leaves the problem of reproducing the 'scene selection' menus in iDVD without the abominable 'Folder' icon. There must be a way to overwrite that icon with something else - I am working on it.....
8. Ans? I think some of the iDVD 'themes' must have preset alternative icons woven into some 'themes'.......
( I have responded to the latest item in the thread - hope this is satisfactory )

rock6079 said:
when u made the markers, did u have one track highlighted and then pressed m to make a marker or did u have nothing highlighted at all and jsut click the timeline and click m to make the marker ?

mdavies

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
I always take my FCE projects, export them to a DV file, import them into iMovie HD (I don't like the newer iMovies), and create chapter markers in iMovie. I did try creating chapter markers and they didn't import into iDVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.