FCP Importing DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Espnetboy3, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

How do you import footage from a dvd , like a bunch of chapters or specific ones into Adobe Premiere or final cut pro ? its not a movie dvd nor do i believe its encrypted . I heard a program dvd-dx or something not sure tho . Any help would be good thanks .

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

the answer is www.dvdxdv.com

it's $25 and well worth the money. there are free solutions but none as quick, easy and high quality. there's a trial version of dvdxdv that gives you an idea of how well it works (it works great) but it puts a watermark on the result. the licensed version does not watermark.

I have it and it comes in handy sometimes.

3. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

i believe this kid i went to school with was able to import bits from the shrek dvd into final cut pro without using any program . is this possible ?

4. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

That would be possible if you had a pass-through device that defeated the copy protection scheme that otherwise messes up the signal, and you had that signal going into another device that converted the signal to DV, and captured it in FCP (capture now, uncontrolled device). I mean, if it's the Shrek DVD.

You want to capture some DVD material from a non-copy protected DVD, so what I just described (outside of the copy protection breaking device) should also work for you.

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Cinematize. This program is great. It will allow you to pull scenes, chapters, or segments of your choosing from dvd files.....but you'll first have to rip them to the hard drive with dvdbackup. You can then save these files as QT files and use them in FCP or iMovie.

6. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

that sounds great is it freeware or what, where can i get this program , can adobe premiere or avid just import dvd files or scenes or maybe just put it onto the timeline then cut whatever you want out?

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Cinematize is not free. It is $50 I believe. Go to Versiontracker.com and download the demo to see if you like the interface. After having used this program I would have to say that I'd pay a lot more than $50 to have it. It is great for using dvd files.

8. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Cinematize is not free. It is $50 I believe. Go to Versiontracker.com and download the demo to see if you like the interface. After having used this program I would have to say that I'd pay a lot more than $50 to have it. It is great for using dvd files. DVDBackup is free....you can download that on versiontracker.com too.

9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

DVDxDV is cheaper than Cinematize... but DVDxDV Pro is more expensive. The Pro version adds multi-track audio extraction (the regular version just does 2-channel and Pro does 5.1-channel).

Just go right now and use the trial version. It's easy to take DVD material and use it in FCP, iMovie, Premiere or whatever else.

10. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok i have tried cinematize which works great with fcp , but is there anything that will get the movie clips into adobe premiere. When you grab the clip in cinematize it makes an audio file , a stream.mpg then a movie.mov which is the audio and stream compilation file, although because this file is only about 200kb it obvious its grabbin its info from the other two files therefore premiere cannot use it because it doesnt just lik imovie import mpg files.