FCP license key location / filename?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jim in LA, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Jim in LA macrumors newbie

Mar 6, 2006
    Hi y'all: i just purchased FCP Studio 5 retail (ouch) and installed it, but not before i had a deal fall through with someone who had "sold" me their copy but then rescinded the deal. So, i have my own copy now, but i have THEIR license key registration - i need to enter mine, but throwing the apps away doesn't delete this info; it's stored somewhere else.

can anyone point me to the correct file for deletion, so that when i relaunch any of the studio apps, i will be prompted for (correct) license key information?

thanks in advance for your help.
  2. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Try looking through these folder for anything related to FCP

/Library/Application Support/
    ~/Library/Application Support/

Deleting the stuff in there that has to do with FCP should work.
  3. Jim in LA thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 6, 2006
    here's the solution

i found the file.

it's called "Final Cut Studio System ID" and it's here:

/library/application support/Pro Apps

just trash it and the next launch you have to enter the username and license key.
  4. maubir macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2009
    where I find library?

so where I find library, etc?
  5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    You can see it in Finder, at the root of your hard drive.
  6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Jul 14, 2008
    Kill this file too:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.RegFinalCutPro.plist (or something similar to that, I'm going of Final Cut Express' files here). It appears to be the one that tells FCP it's been registered already.
  7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    The FCP version is /Library/Preferences/com.apple.RegFinalCutStudio.plist.
  8. canning macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2010
    Oswego, NY
    FCP License

I have a different problem.

I own a volume license of FC Suite 2 for our edit lab. One of our machines needed to be erased and have its OS re-installed, and would you know I cannot find the license.

I have been looking on-line for assistance, found plenty, but none that's pertinent to my problem.

I am trying to look at the other workstations to find the license so I can write it down. But I cannot fathom the information located in the file:
    Lib/App Support/ProApps/FCS System ID

Any help? Thanks in advance.

9. profbg macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2015
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    This did nothing for me. And when I try to re-install from DVD, it says I need a Power PC proc. I thought those went away years ago...Mine is 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
  10. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Aug 10, 2014
    Since it was written for a PowerPC processor, you would have to use an OS version that works with Rosetta, which was Apple's PPC emulating software. However, that went away with the release of Lion, so chances are you don't have compatibility with PPC software anymore.