FCP lost disk!! Can I recieve a replacement?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zimtheinvader, Mar 15, 2005.

1. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

hi,
    I (somehow :confused: ) lost my FCP4 install dvd during a move, (still have Livetype data disks, Soundtrack sound disk, manuals, keys, ect.) and now need to reinstall, -is there a way to request a replacement disk? I'm more than a bit nervous, given I have the license and keys and all I don't have to buy a whole new copy, do I? :eek:
    Any info on how to request a replacement or advice would be appreciated!!
    Thanx

2. Bear macrumors G3

Have you tried contacting Apple? It will probably cost you $20 to $40 to get the replacement.

3. zimtheinvader thread starter macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

Not yet, should I have the manual out or my serial codes or my Mac's serial# ? :confused:

Also, I still have Applecare for the mac, should I contact them? I bought my copy from the Apple edu store online...

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that stinks, if they don't replace it for a small fee, look at the bright side, its an excuss to upgrade to FCP HD or you can get the production suite ;)

5. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I had the exact same problem with DVDSP. I got the runaround when I called Apple and didnt feel like dealing with them, so I just downloaded it and used the downloaded copy until I felt like upgrading. Didnt bother my conscience since I had really purchased it, just could find it. Not that I have much of a conscience anyway... :)

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Technically you're not pirating anything by doing this... You're using YOUR software code, and the program you downloaded is exactly the same as the software on the disc. No stealing, no lieing. I bet Apple still wouldn't like it, but as far as I can tell it's all fine and dandy. If they DO end up charging you more than $20 or $40 for a new disc, give them a good talking to.

Oh, and puckhead- FCP HD is a free upgrade from FCP4, just to let you know. (Though it is a good excuse for him to upgrade to FCP 5 in April.)

7. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Oh. Ummmm. Did I mention I used a bad serial number, too? The serial number was with the install disc, so it was gone too. I had registered it, though. So I figured that if Apple got uppity with me I could prove to them that I had really purchased it. So technically it may have been stealing, but not in my mind.