FCP questions

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Espnetboy3, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

I have a few FCP questions I always wanted to be answered so if anyone can answer just one or all of them please feel free to do so. Thanks.

1.What is nesting exactly and what are the benefits of it?

2.What is pre-composing in AE and or FCP?

3.If I add effects and keyframes to a clip in FCP is there a way to save my effect so I can apply it to other clips, almost like a preset I created?

4.What is an EDL?

Thanks in advance

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Nesting is placing one sequence inside of another. It can help keep the timeline uncluttered and easier to navigate. For example, when I edit a movie I break it down into scenes (each scene gets its own sequence). And then I have one "movie sequence" that I'll load all the "scene" sequences into. So when I need to make changes I just open up the "scene" seq and make the changes there. It's much easier than working in a huge timeline of the whole movie.

Precompisng and nesting are basically the same thing. Another example is lets say you have an effect that is a composite of 5 layers of video. If you nest or precompose that effect then you only have to manage 1 layer as opposed to 5, and that will make your timeline much easier to navigate and work with.

No, but there are limited work arounds.
    Link

An EDL is an Edit Decision List. It's basically a text document of your edited sequence that can be used to transfer edit info between two editors. So, for example, I edited a commercial offline on an Avid and I want the final online to be done on the Smoke/Flame setup down the hall. I'll export an EDL from Avid and give to the Smoke/Flame guy. He'll import the EDL and the edited sequences of the commercial will be there. All he has to do now is import the footage.

Lethal

P.S. Some of this stuff I knew and some I googled. ;)

3. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I use nesting all the time for effects that I want applied to all of the sequence. It can make it easier to quickly change an effect universally. For example, I sometimes like the look of the widescreen mask, so I apply it at the very end by nesting the sequence inside another and then apply the effect to the highest nested sequence.

4. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Corywoolf could u please ggive me laymans terms in how to do this in fcp. Also lethal wolfe thanks again for coming through with the answers. How would i go about nesting? I believeI know how just trying to make sure. And what your saying cory about you made an effect and you nest is so you can apply to to any clip is basically what I was saying about the keyframes , how can i do that?
    you guys have been great, thanks.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Nesting in FCP is very simple. I'll use corywoolf's example of applying a widescreen matte as the last step of finishing an edit. You have "Sequence 1" which is your edited project and you want to give it the "widescreen look." So make a new sequence and we'll call it "sequence 2." Open Sequence 2 and, from the browser, drag Sequence 1 into the Viewer. Edit Sequence 1 into Sequence 2 (just like you normally would any other type of media) and, tada, you have a nested sequence. Sequence 1 will show up, and behave, just like one big clip inside Sequence 2. The only difference is that if you double click on Sequence 1, instead of popping up in the viewer, you'll open Sequence 1 (so now both 1 and 2 will be open). This way you can make changes to Sequence 1 w/o having to re-edit into Sequence 2 (sometimes this doesn't always work though and you will have to re-edit Sequence 1 into Sequence 2).

Now, to apply the widescreen matte to the nested Sequence 1 you just go into the effects menu and apply the effect like normal. If you need to make any changes to the effect just right/control click over Sequence 1 on the timeline and select "show in viewer" and it will pop up in the Viewer just like a regular clip will.

Hope I didn't make that too obtuse. :)

Lethal

6. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks lethal, when I get back from class I will try this.

7. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

cory please explaing what you mean by this. Basically I had a clip that i added motion to and blew out the highlights and levels and added a gaussian blur to. Instead of me going to the 3 or 4 more cliips later on in the seq how can i take that effect i made and apply it to more than one clip?

8. ideaspring macrumors newbie

The easiest way to do this is to select the clip in the timeline that you applied the effects to. Copy it. Now select the next clip that you want to apply the same effects to. Instead of pasting the clip you are going to pasted the properties. Do an Option V (not Command V like a normal paste) and you will get a window asking you what you want to past. Select the options that you want and click OK. It is that easy.

9. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks alot idea. If you have keyframes and the clip your pasting to is longer than the original will it mess it up?

10. chisaidog macrumors newbie

Going to film print

We went from film to digital and are going back out to film for a showcase. We edited (Film) in AVID and and did our online in FINAL CUT PRO. The color for the film was done in COLOR. We went from COLOR back to FCP to finish the online. The offline video and the online clips all sync up, but our sound does not. We gave the company doing the online a 24P project QT (which is what we are syncing the video to) and a 24P sound file. It syncs up in the beginning of the film, but somewhere in the middle, it changes and is off for the rest of the film.

If the QT and the clips all sync together, why doesn't the sound sync?
    What can we do to fix this?We went from film to digital and are going back out to film for a showcase. We edited (Film) in AVID and and did our online in FINAL CUT PRO. The color for the film was done in COLOR. We went from COLOR back to FCP to finish the online. The offline video and the online clips all sync up, but our sound does not. We gave the company doing the online a 24P project QT (which is what we are syncing the video to) and a 24P sound file. It syncs up in the beginning of the film, but somewhere in the middle, it changes and is off for the rest of the film.

We also tried syncing to a 23.976 QT and Sound file, but they are all off as well.

If the QT and the clips all sync together to the 24P, why doesn't the sound sync?
    What can we do to fix this?

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Better make your own thread as to use this over four years old thread. That might get your more attention.