FCP stops responding

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mltobin37, Aug 16, 2006.

1. mltobin37 macrumors newbie

I am currently editing a feature and am having issues with FCP not responding. This just started last night after several weeks of work on my computer with no problems like this. I moved some media off of my harddrive and on to an external drive to free up space, hoping that would solve the problem. It did not.

FCP stops responding whenever I try to perform any edit besides a trim. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice in trying to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance.

2. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

I would start with the old stanby in a situation like this and trash the Final Cut Pro pref files.

You will need to delete three files:

1. First go to User/Library/Preferences/ and remove the file called com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist.
    2. Then go to User/Library/Preferences/Final Cut Pro User Data/ and remove the other two preferences files, called Final Cut Pro 4.5 Preferences and Final Cut Pro POA Cache.

After deleting the files, relaunch Final Cut Pro and see if this helped. If you've customized settings, this action will make them revert back to their original state. So, you may want to remove them instead of deleting them.

Hope that helps.

3. mltobin37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Carl,

Thanks for the help. I deleted those files, restarted FCP and tried performing the edit that has been causing my problems. FCP stopped responding while trying to delete the clip.

Any ideas what I should try next?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Try repairing permissions.

Also, how big is your timeline? By that I mean are you cutting the entire piece in one big timeline or do you have a separate timeline for each act (or something like that)? FCP loads the whole timeline at once so if you have a big timeline it can cause FCP to choke. Have you added any very large gfx or image files to the project recently? That can cause FCP to slowdown too.

Lethal

5. mltobin37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Permissions? and answers

How do I go about repairing my permissions?

The main timeline is currently 82 minutes with very minimal graphics, some credits created using the Title tool and some created using LiveType.

I have one main timeline and several other timelines with previous cuts of the film and certain segments that I have been editing down. I've tried deleting some of these extra timelines but FCP stops responding when I try to delete this material as well.

6. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

This is an excellent point. I could easily see and 82 minute timeline choking things. You may want to consider if you've made any major changes in the last few days since it's started not responding. Maybe try opening the project and then giving it a good ten to twenty mintues to "catch up". I don't know if you've applied any effects recently, but I'd imagine even realtime effects take a bit to render and considering the length of your timeline, this may be the culprit.

Repair Permissions
    in Disk Utility

7. mltobin37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Working!

Thanks to everyone for the help. I repaired the permissions and successfully performed the troublesome edit. I'm now trying to manage the media better in the project and on my external drives.

Thanks again for everything.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Glad you were able to get everything up and running again so quickly. :)

Lethal