fcp to compressor problem

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sk3pt1c, Apr 16, 2006.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

hello people,
    this is my problem:

i've taken some shots using my miniDV camera,captured them into fcp5 and created some sequences for a dvd i want to create.
    now,as a test, i tried exporting from fcp using compressor. my video is 16:9 and pal so i chose the 90min 16:9 mpeg2 preset in the compressor window.
    i made sure it was pal and not ntsc and submitted the batch.
    as it should, compressor closed and the batch monitor worked with fcp to export my file to m2v and the audio to its respective files.
    what happened though is this:
    i then double clicked on the .m2v file to see what it looks like and it opened in compressor as i thought it would but when i clicked play the video was full of horizontal lines that were just hideous!!!!
    does anyone have any ideas why this happened?
    if i import these files as assets into dvd studio pro will that fix the problem or is it a compressor setting that i've missed somewhere?
    i'm puzzled because i didn't create a custom preset,i just used the one from the drop down menu
    please help cause i'm on a deadline for this dvd
    thank you

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

$20 says all you are seeing are normal interlacing artifacts 'cause you are watching it on your computer. Burn a small section to DVD and watch it on a TV. It should look fine.

Lethal

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i've thought of that but that means that if i play the dvd on a computer it will still look like sh*t, right?

4. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

right,problem solved
    what happened was this:
    i filmed the footage at 16:9 but it turns out it was just 4:3
    with a cropping or something cause my sequences in final cut were set at 4:3 and it looked fine
    so i was trying to encode it in 16:9 using compressor hence the crazy lines
    i encoded a small bit using 4:3 in compressor and it looks fine
    i knew it would be something stupid like that
    i just thought it write it down in case someone else has the same problem in the future
    thanks for the help though

i should've taken the bet :)