FCP to DVD Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AtHomeBoy_2000, Dec 14, 2005.

1. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2005
    I have a question about taking a project from Final Cut Pro and placing it in DVD Studio Pro. I dotn have either programs but I am thinking of buying them for work to go on my new computer. I have Final Cut Express on my computer at home and it is annoying to have to export to DV in order to import into iDVD. Do FCP and DVD Studio Pro interact along the same way as iMovie and iDVD to where you just need to export a referance file?
  2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Correct. A reference movie is all you need. Can FCE not export reference movies?

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    You can export as reference, but make sure the location of the actual media is in the same location and accessible by DVD Studio Pro.

Although if you're exporting to DVD, you do create the MPEG2 streams before import right?

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]
  4. AtHomeBoy_2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2005
    According to the stuff that came with FCE, you need to export to a DV file to work in iMovie. Kind of sucks.
  5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    You can export reference movies from FCP and bring them into DVD SP. In fact, I'm not 100% positive, but I think that you can actually directly put Final Cut Pro sequence files into DVD SP.

My workflow is FCP -> QT reference movie -> Compressor -> DVD SP. DVD SP will do the MPEG2 compression for you, but you can get a lot more control, and better looking results using Compressor.