FCP Upgrade, now or wait?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TheAnswer, Feb 10, 2007.

  1. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

    TheAnswer

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2002
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #1
    I have a copy of FCP 4 now. My current machine can't handle FCP 5. I just recently noticed that I could upgrade to the FCP Suite for only $199. And I noticed that the older version upgrades are $699.

    I'm not very up-to-date on expected upgrades for FCP and the rest of the suite. When is the next revision expected? I also don't know much about past upgrade pricing policies for FCP. Was the upgrade plan for the Final Cut Studio consistent with past upgrade pricing or an exception?

    If the upgrade from the current suite to the next version is likely to be around $199, it seems reasonable for me to buy the FCP 4.0 to Suite upgrade now and save around $200 (assuming that the FCP 4.0 to next version suite will be around $699).
     
  2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #2
    Well at NAB (in April), we could see Final Cut 6, but I'm not sure (we were anticipating it last year and we got nothing)

    I'd upgrade to final cut studio for 200 dollars NOW just so I don't have to pay 600-700 LATER.
     
  3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

    P-Worm

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #3
    I agree. If you upgrade now, you may end up getting the whole upgrade cheaper in the long run.

    Your machine can't handle 5 you say. Are you planning to upgrade soon? 6 will undoubtedly have higher requirements.

    But this is all dependent on if you need or could use the upgrade. If FCP 4 is working fine for you now there is no need to dive in. I have to say though, at $199, all of the extra programs you get with the FCP to studio upgrade are well worth it. Do you have any of the other programs like DVD SP?

    P-Worm
     
  4. TheAnswer thread starter macrumors 68030

    TheAnswer

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2002
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #4
    Thanks for the replies so far guys.

    I am looking to upgrade to a Mac Pro sometime later this year. Right now, I don't really get a chance to use FCP that often. Once I go back to school next fall, I'll have more time and projects where having it will come in super handy.

    I could probably get by with FCExpress, but since I bought FCP once already, I'd really like to upgrade it, but in the least expensive way possible. I don't own DVD SP or Motion, I have Soundtrack as it came with FCP 4.
     
  5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

    bigbossbmb

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2004
    Location:
    Pasadena/Hollywood
    #5
    i would upgrade now, just so that you get motion and dvdsp...that is a $199 well spent.
     
  6. Multimedia macrumors 603

    Multimedia

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2001
    Location:
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    #6
    DEADLINE is Now March 20 - Was December 20 - GET IT WHILE YOU CAN Man

    I agree with everyone that you should exercise the $199 option ASAP since the offer already expired December 20 and was, lucky for you, extended 'til March 20. You will never get another chance to upgrade to Studio this cheap ever again. And even if FCS 6 ships in April, your upgrade cost to that will be cheaper from FCS 5.1 UB than it will be from FCP 4. So Chop Chop man and send them your Install DVD with $199 while you still have the chance. You will be so glad you did.
     
  7. Davowade macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location:
    Melbourne
    #7
    Also (for when you get your new mac later in the year anyways) I found the performance difference between FCP4 and 5 to be quite astounding.
    Far more RT capabilities, and just far better overall.
     
  8. sturigdson macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2006

Share This Page