FCP versus Premiere 7.0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dafke, May 24, 2005.

1. Dafke macrumors 6502

Dafke

For school i am busy learning to do some basic video editing. At university we're using Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0 on Window machines and i think this is quite an ok program that is easy to use and can create nice video's.

I have seen Final Cut Pro on someone else's mac and it looked quite similar to Premiere. So i was wandering what the difference is between these programs (apart from the platform you're workinig on) and what the pro's and con's are of both programs.

any input is appreciated.

2. plastique45 macrumors regular

To give you an idea, when Final Cut Pro & Express (and of course iMovie) came out for Mac, they killed Premiere on OS X.

Premiere is the first software I learned. I started with version 4.2 and used it until FCP 3 came out. As with all Adobe softwares, Premiere suck. Adobe is selling bloated software with one or 2 new features a year. How come we still can't save our history and modify past filters, for example, after re-opening a psd file? If Apple made a PS-like app, it would kill the CS suite too.

But back to premiere. If all you do is wedding videos or miniDV Star Wars fan films, you can do what you want with Premiere. Final Cut is now a competitor to Avid MEDIA COMPOSER. Not the Avid Express Pro, the 200,000$ MEDIA COMPOSER is seeing it's market share being eaten by FCP! FCP can edit @24fps, creat a film cut list, a modification list, it's interface uses insert and overwrite controls that simply kills the razor blade -based cutting of Premiere. Also, you can edit uncompressed 10bit YUV HD with the high quality AJA coded, use it's powerful 3-way color corrector on any format etc. In other words, we're talking semi-pro vs full blown professional application here.

The ONLY serious alternatives are Avid Media Composer or Lightworks, both cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Since 2003, Decklink and other card vendors have reported selling more FCP-based solutions than EVERY other NLE combined! FCP is now the #1 selling NLE. Every time a post facility in town changes their hardware, I see a G5 with FCP HD coming in. Walter Murch migrated from Avid and he is now using FCP (so are the Coen Brothers, and MANY others). If it's good enough for the man who edited The Conversation, it's good enough for me!

3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Well said! The greatest 1000 bucks you can spend as a Mac Videographer!

kyle

4. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Well first off im not going to be an adobe hater. There programs photoshop, illustrator and AE are simply amazing. Second is the thing with premiere is the layout is easier and more user friendly I feel. Unless doing extremely advanced editing premiere does exactly the same thing. People think that like whatever you shoot footage wise it will look better or be better in fcp or avid or on a g5. It still looks as good as the camera and if the story and dialogue arent good it doesnt matter if your budget is in the millions. Cutting is basically just rearranging clips like the old school editors. For instance, you should not have to tint films in post you should gel your lights while shooting.

5. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Dafke

thank you all for your input.
    it looks like i will stick with Premiere for a while (basically because i don't understand all these features plastique45 is talking about, so i guess i don't need 'm now) and if i get more into this editing i might switch to fcp.

6. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

One thing I can't do in Final Cut which I wish I could is (this is the adobe name for it) Ramp Speed. Now in FCP you can do Variable Speed (essentially the same thing as Ramp Speed) but in FCP the audio will go out of sync with the video if you do this which means that although your video will have a variable speed, your audio will not.

7. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

For the most of us, the movies we hash out can be made equally between the two...I don't know about 90% of what FCP can do. I know that I would choose FCP, though, because it's Apple, and it's integrated into OS X...which, is the next reason to use FCP. Also, you have other side apps, LiveType, Soundtrack, Motion, Compressor, etc that are part of FCP. Oh yeah, and then add in DVD SP, which, for the price is an absolutely killer DVD Authoring program, slaughtering Encore or any other similarily (that's a hard word to spell) priced DVD Authoring Programs.

Lastly...if you're lucky enough, the student price for all this is incredible.

8. killername macrumors newbie

how to export to dvd

Hello
    First off I don't have a mac ---Windows XP instead.
    I have plenty of memory and good speed in my d-drive.

the promblem I am having is once I've finished what I wish to burn to dvd I go to file
    -export
    -to dvd
    -it loads burners
    -it becomes ready
    -record or test
    -starts transcoding and then freezes less than a quarter into it

I've tried a few places with no results.
    Please help!!!

9. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

not the place, sir. thats why its called mr. not many are framiliar with xp. expect people to look at you as a tradgety case. :rolleyes: get a mac, if at all possible.