fcpx on baseline imac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dunder09, Apr 14, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2011
    I posted this in the imac section but then figured this is probably a better place. I am looking into getting a baseline late 2012 21.5 imac. i will be doing some light editing on fcpx, basically just a short film or music video here and there. nothing to fancy. would the baseline be sufficient for this or would any upgrades be strongly recommended? i only have about $1800 to spend so i dont want to purchase anything additional unless it's going to be a significant improvement for what i am doing. thank you.
  2. macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2008
    The i7 will be a significant improvement. The i5 will work too, just more slowly.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2011
    How much slower? Everything I will be editing will be on my own time (not work related). So if it's only 10-20% faster I'm wondering if it's worth it.
  4. macrumors member

Nov 24, 2011
    You should be fine with the base model, especially if you use proxy media. FCPX is pretty efficient with CPU and GPU usage. I have a rMBP with similar specs and FCPX runs very well.
  5. macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    i7 with hyperthreading makes a big difference in Final Cut Pro X. If you have double the core count, it will make use of it.
  6. macrumors 65816

Nov 20, 2007
    I'm using a 2012 13"MBP 2.5 to edit HD in FCPX right now and it's pretty smooth. Granted I have 16GB RAM and a dual (non-RAID) SSD setup, but it's a sweet smooth ride.

The only time you'll notice the CPU difference is when applying video filters, but with the background rendering its a bit of a non-issue, (for non-pro level stuff).