FCPX: saving files to a drive other than the boot?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bagelche, Sep 14, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

bagelche

How do I get FCPX to save render files to a drive other than the boot drive?

I've installed FCPX on a Mac Pro running a 128GB boot drive and RAID 0 HDDs in the sleds. In the settings I've deselected the option to organize/copy the footage over, but it's still storing the render files (and others) in the ~/Movies folder. Is there a way to change this default to a separate drive? I'm fairly stumped.

Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

You can make a duplicate of your existing project (including render files) and move that to the external. When you start a new project, you can tell FCP where to save it. The render files always stick with the project.

3. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

Move the "Final Cut Events" and "Final Cut Projects" folders (stored on boot drive under Movies by default) to wherever you like including external or any additional internal drive you have... I personally keep Final Cut Events on a separate 2TB internal drive with that being the only folder on it and keep Projects under my 2TB boot drive.

4. macrumors regular

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

bagelche

Thanks to each of you. Unfortunately I've got too much work to even look at FCPX for a couple of days, but I'll give these a go.

Thanks again!

6. macrumors 68000

I would make sure when you start a new project and event on the drive where you want it stored on. Rather then end up transferring to another drive later on.