FCS Crossgrade:Academic => Retail....or not

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jrk07, May 12, 2006.

1. jrk07 macrumors regular

So after seeing quite a few people on the macrumors forums raving about how they sent in their academic versions for the Final Cut Studio Crossgrade and were receiving retail version back, I rushed mine through the mail and received my discs today. I cross-graded from academic Final Cut studio to 5.1 Final Cut studio, only to find that it still says Final Cut Studio Academic (now with version 5.1 listed).

The only reason I spent the $50 was to try and weasel my way around from spending $1300 for the full retail, but I am lost as to why people would say theirs is now the full retail, when mine obviously isn't.

So is it because I just popped the disc in and hit upgrade?

Would a full uninstall help my situation any? If so...how in the world do you uninstall Final Cut studio???

2. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

I have read this three times over and I still have no idea what you are saying.

What version did you send in, does the disc you recieved say academic, and what exactly did you do once you got the discs back?

As far as I know, you are the only one I know about who did not recieve standard discs back via the mail in crossgrade.

3. jrk07 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for the confusing post, I was just really frustrated at the time....to clear it up a little.

I originally had Final Cut Studio 5.0 academic. I sent in my FCS 5.0 academic disks.

The disks I recieved say Final Cut Studio crossgrade, Motion crossgrade, etc.

I put in the Final Cut Studio crossgrade disk, and ran the installer. It said it would upgrade FCP, Motion, DVD studio pro, etc.

When I start Final Cut Pro, Motion, etc. they still say Final Cut Pro Academic, but they are upgraded to 5.1.

So, I was wondering if I am missing something, or if everybody else that recieved theirs after having prior academic versions were getting different results.

Hope that is more clear. I am just disapointed after reading that everybody with academic disks were having their systems upgrade to full retail copies.

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Surely it doesn't really matter, since the only difference between the academic and retail versions is the price (and that you can only use the academic version if you are in education)?

5. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

upgrades, mate

6. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I think the Educational software can not be upgraded to future versions of Final cut studio. Also the Educational versions should not be used for commercial work.

If you have to do a reinstall I think it will ask you for you original s/n and detect that it as Education s/n

Sorry it does annoy me when people complain that they tried to weasel my way around from spending $1300 for the full retail for the product & it didn't work. If you want the full version go get the full version. Its as simple as that.

7. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

That sounds like the key point. jrk07, did you get a new SN with the crossgrade discs? I suggest a full reinstall using the provided number.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

off topic but how does FCS run on your iMac, i'm thinking of getting an imac with FCS

9. jrk07 thread starter macrumors regular

The package I recieved had no new S/N for installation, thus I will always have the academic since thats the only S/N.

I understand your frustration evil_santa, as I'm not usually such a cheap bastard, but I figured that since there are quite a lot of others doing the same thing on these boards I would just do the same.

Puckhead, my iMac revA runs final cut pro very well. I don't feel like I need to even upgrade my system for the DV editing that I do. Motion and dvd studio pro on the other hand, I really wish I had a Powermac for. Overall, i feel like my iMac was a really good bargain for what I can do with it and I would definitely recommend one to anybody. :D

10. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Bummer. Guess its a wrinkle in the upgrade rules. Still, its all the same bits. :)

11. bbtylrv macrumors newbie

ed. to retail

I did the cross-grade from a single copy of "soundtrack pro academic"--
    I sent in the disc with $199.00 plus tax-- apple sent me the entire FCP suite 5.1 with a new serial #. I loaded it up and hit upgrade and it still read "academic". So-- I re-formatted my hard drive, and loaded everything back on. I loaded FCP 5.1 with the new serial and it was "RETAIL"! It didn't say Academic anymore. Keep in mind that I sent mine in the first day they advertised that you could do a cross-grade. I defnitely go the first run of the discs. Has anyone else gone from Academic to Retail?

12. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I'm curious to see if anyone else had the same results! :p