FDA: Misusing Painkillers Can Be Deadly

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eyelikeart, Jan 23, 2004.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They've know about this for years, and years.

Even had the companies update the warning labels to include liver damage from taking too much, or drinking.

But since then acetaminophen has spread to nearly all the cough/cold remedies, along with the OTC painkillers, and also the prescription meds.

So the risk of taking too much is quite high.

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    we'd better start outlawing acetaminophen, because you know, we can't trust the people to treat their bodies correctly. the government has to do it.

4. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

I've always hated taking medications, unless it's something extreme. I just don't want all those chemicals if I don't absolutely need them. I can't understand the people that pop Tylenol like it's candy.:confused:

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    some people are just stupid and irresponsible, its unfortunate the government seems to think all the people are stupid and irresponsible.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This has been an ongoing problem in medicine. People seem to think that if a little of a medication works, why not take more. It's not that they are stupid, they just need to be educated. Nurses do this automatically. Everyone should read and follow the directions on the label. The drug companies should some information ads, if it was a public service broadcast stations wouldn't charge as much.

7. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

and please PLEASE don't hesitate to ask the pharmacist behind the counter if you ever have any questions about medications. wdlove, I salute you and other nurses, but nothing beats a pharmacist as a first-line expert about drugs, especially over the counter (OTC) drugs. Ask us questions, we have answers. . .

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

My one wish here is that pharmacists had better knowledge of street drugs... try going into your average pharmacy and asking whether your new prescription would interact with a recreational drug. they just don't know. Some doctors are getting better about it, thankfully, but not great. Granted, a lot of this is the pharmacutical companies refusal to study the effects of their drug with street drugs, so it's not like pharmacists have a great resource to turn to for this question...

paul

9. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

Isn't this obvious? I mean really, if you misuse cough medicine, it could be dangerous.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry that I didn't mention your fine profession phrancpharmD. Working nights at the hospital, bot to be friendly with the pharmacist. He was always very helpful. Would go out of his way to assist me. Your comment should be part of the service announcemants.

11. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

Actually, the federal government makes it nearly impossible to obtain illegal compounds for research purposes, which is why I have no problem explaining to anyone who will listen that antidrug "information" really is propaganda, not actually science (evidence) based. And you would not (I don't know, maybe you would) believe the attitude and preconceived notions students in pharmacy schools and licensed pharmacists have about how "bad" recreational drugs are. So even if there were good sources of information, personal biases would likely get in the way of objective rational discussion. Anybody with questions about OTC, prescription, and even illegal drugs should PLEASE feel free to PM me anytime. I would be very happy to answer any questions, and if you feel uncomfortable with posting a question online you can contact me by telephone. Service with a smile. . . :)

Thanks for the kind words! Not to sound like an idiot, but what are the service announcements? I'd be happy to make my services available.

12. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I take prescription muscle relaxers, 500 mg. They make you fell really relaxed and just nice. They are $3 a piece legally I can't imagine what they go for on the street. I was prescribed them so it's ok. But I do know a lot of people who take will take 1000 mg of Vicodin or other pain pills. I think it is much better for you than illegal drugs. They are made in a lab and under the FDA, and if you use them in moderation like once a week. I never have done them but I guess my muscle relaxers are kind of the same, but I need them.

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah really.

Don't overuse ___

Don't overuse this ____.

come on, use them in LIMITS.

Food, Drugs, Sex, Computers -- You have to MODERATE your consumption. If you don't we will get these silly don't overuse _____ warnings every day!

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm not suggesting the use of street drugs, but i think my pharmacist friend here might agree that vaporized marijuana would be a better muscle relaxant without the strain on the liver that long-term exposure to pain meds would cause... as well as less of the digestive side-effects, and that nasty addiction factor-- vicodin and i go way back. i'd point out that vicodin is an opiate, what you're taking isn't *too* far away from the same opium on the streets... perhaps slightly closer to heroin than pot, for the same results.

purity of street drugs, however, remains a big issue, and will until the drug prohibition ends. but that's for that other thread. so in conclusion, pharmacology is a science that applies to street drugs as well.

:)
    paul