FDA Shows Support For Animal Cloning

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Nov 3, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

"The FDA is still trying to decide if cloned farm animals will require government approval before being sold as food. That decision is expected to take another year."

The first link is a press release from anti-cloning folk. It makes it sound like the FDA has already allowed this.

Not that I'm pro-cloning perse... just pointing that out.

arn

3. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm not sure what I think about this yet either. We do have food already that is genetically altered. Most of it proven to be safe. Produce is grown to be resistant to insects.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i think that while genetically altered foods and cloned meats are thusfar safe and are probably entirely safe for consumption, we can't know that a) these foods won't cause harm to a person or their offspring later in life, and b) cloning (large scale) and to a larger extent genetic engineering won't cause effects to the ecosystem. genetic engineering scares me because we have no way of knowing how those modified plants/animals will reproduce and evolve under different situations, and the slightest change in the natural order can become a huge problem fast. butterfly effect/chaos theory/whatever, it happens. large scale cloning has many of the same problems... the animals' waste may be different, for instance, or not different enough, and in huge feedlots that problem is hugely magnified.

like i said, i think it's probably safe. but it's potential danger scares the hell out of me. i very much hope cloned meat carries a warning label. but then, i don't think genetically modified food carries one...

the only instance where i think genetic engineering is worth the risk is the development of grown medicine... they have tomatoes grown with some sort of medicine (don't remember what), it can be cultivated as both food for impoverished nations and very inexpensive medicine to treat them. tho this carries political risk, i won't get into that...

pnw

5. Dros macrumors 6502

I think you are thinking of the Simpsons episode where they grow "tomacco".

The whole thing is way premature. Cloning is an expensive process... who is going to fry up a $250,000 pig? By the time it becomes routine, they'll know more about what could happen. Right now, the mice and sheep they've cloned often aren't quite right. Many cloned animals are extremely obese, others are prematurely aged. Not good for making a profit at the ranch.

I wouldn't put cloned animals in the same class as genetically engineered. Cloned animals don't have foreign genetic bits in them. Genetic engineering brings in DNA that is not part of the normal genome. This happens all the time by natural causes (viruses, etc, inserting DNA into your genome), but the effects are hard to gauge.

6. alset macrumors 65816

alset