FDA to regulate tobacco companies?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Neserk, May 21, 2004.

1. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the article:
    ????

what am i missing?

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The tide of litigation has squeezed tobacco companies into the unusual position of encouraging people not to use their products. If you look a bit more closely, you'll notice that much of the current anti-tobacco advertising is now directly sponsored by those companies.

At this point, FDA regulation might actually help those companies, by letting them shift some responsibility off their own shoulders and onto the government.

4. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Yep. It will also likely prevent future lawsuits. At this point if you live in the US and you *don't* know cigarettes/tobacco are bad for you, you either live in a cave or are a complete idiot.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. so we've probably seen the last of the tobacco lawsuits, eh?

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I'm sure that's what the tobacco industry would hope, but other FDA-regulated industries still deal with a continual stream of litigation. It will, I'm sure, make the targets smaller.

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i doubt it. there are still plenty of people alive (and getting right around that cancer/emphysema age) that started smoking when it was not known how bad for you it really is... though it may become harder and harder to win, as time goes on..

but what do i know? hah