Fear of Roller coasters... -_-

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mav451, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Well this is my case:

My friends decided a while back to take a trip to PKD (Paramount King's Dominion)...and well, now that a while has passed, there's just a week away. The problem is that I'm deathly afraid of coasters--I dunno, I remember myself being just fine back when I was 10 or 12...but then all of a sudden I started to get scared of them. The last thing I road was the Comet and the Wildcat at Hershey's park...and both scared the bejesus out of me. (Yes, the coaster purists will probably ridicule me for this -_- )

Well now its been about 9 years (so you can guess my age now). I really don't want to spoil everyone else's day by being a wuss and chickening out...

Is there anything I can do to get over this fear?

*I know there's that future Cedar Point CEO on this board somewhere...perhaps he can help :)

2. Tremaine macrumors member

1. Be honest. If you're friends aren't cool with that, then @#$% 'em. (that sounds like mom's advice)

2. Suck it up. Be a man. Think about guys in the Marines that don't really want to be jumping from helicopters into enemy territory, but they tough it out. (sounds like dad's advice)

3. Download, NoLimits Roller Coaster sim demo and ride coaster sims over and over and train yourself to relax. (sounds like a geek's advice)

4. Enjoy an adult beverage, now that you are old enough, and take the edge off. (my best advice) ;)

3. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

#2 Be a man. Just get on it and if you do freak out just scream. No one will really notice anyway.
    After the rides over you'll be giddy and happy and wonder what all the fuss was about.

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

#1 - Like Tremaine said: if they don't understand, they are not your friends. They are called friends (partly) because they respect your diffences.

If that doesn't work, take the easy way out: pretend to be sick, or have a dying grandmother. :rolleyes:

That reminds me...boy do I love roller coasters... :)

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Excellent demo. Thanks for letting me know about it! Made me realize I never want to go into a real one again! ;)

6. Tremaine macrumors member

Demo is great, but for $25 the full version is a steal! If you like coasters, it is a lot of fun and works great on Mac. Check out CoasterSims.com, there are thousands of rides people have created with the editor.

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Eh, I don't think this has anything to do with his friends...It's about confronting fears and overcoming them. If there's no pressing medical concern, then there should be no reason to let a little fear preclude what could be a great time. If you won't ride roller coasters because you don't like them, that's one thing; if you won't ride them because you're scared, then I think you should overcome that.

I used to be really scared of roller coasters and then someone pushed me to give one a shot and I loved it.

My best advice: Tell your friends you're kinda scared but want to give it a shot. Let them goad you into it; it will help you actually take the step of getting on. You should definitely start on the smallest coaster at the park first and then work your way up. Here's a place where a little peer pressure might be ok.

Of course, if you end up riding the coaster and get sick or really, really hate it, then don't bother. I'm sure your friends won't mind too much. But I think you owe it to yourself to at least give it a shot.

8. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

If it wasnt safe, the park wouldnt be open. Take er like a man and just give'r!

Your pretty well strapped down at anycase.. Who knows... Maybe your an adrenaline junkie just waiting to come out of his "shell" (some more geek advice :p)

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I used to be scared of coasters too. I overcame my fear by riding the fastest, highest ride at Six Flags Magic Mountain here in California. Its called Supreme Scream. You get in this seat, and it faces outwards. Its not like a rollercoaster. The seat is attached to a huge...tower. Like 16 people can ride at once, they are all in seats around the tower in a circle. You go up slowly like 250 feet, and you can see so far and you can't hear a thing. Suddenly, it drops at like 60mph. Its pretty freaky.

After that I wasn't really scared of any rides because that was the biggest thing at the park.

[EDIT] - Here is a QuickTime movie of the ride in action. Link!

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I am/was terrified of roller coasters. When I was 20ish I talked my self on a cork screw because I saw the people going into one, turned my head for just a few seconds and when I looked back I saw they were out of it. I figured if it lasted that long it couldn't be too bad. I loved it :D

Then I went on a wooden one. I all but puked when I got off.

If *you* want to do this, do some research. Try and understand how they are safe. (physics, etc.)

If you don't want to do this, that is cool. Just find something else you like better. Personally, I like being twirled around until I'm dizzy. I'm not much for the up and down stuff.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I love roller coasters, but what you're describing has always freaked me out. Maybe I should follow my own advice and grow some cojones.

12. iGav macrumors G3

Nemesis at Alton Towers.... :D the perfect coaster. ;)

I'd take themadchemist's advice... that's pretty sensible. ;)

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I love riding coasters. So my answer is from that perspective.

1st. True friends will not make you do anything that you are not comfortable doing.

2nd. Don't eat before going. Or at least minimize your solid food intake.

3rd. Pee before you get in line. Then pee again. The point being is that you want to create a situation where you do not have to go during the ride. There is nothing like having to go while you are doing the initial climb on the coaster. The rest of the ride will not be fun.

4th. If you have to puke, don't worry. Just do it in your shirt (down inside the collar). While this may seem bad at first, it really limits where the puke goes and minimizes the damage to other areas. Be sure to bring with you a clean shirt, small towel and some soap. Also a plastic bag for the dirty shirt after you rinse it out.

5th. While riding, do not move your head from side to side or turn your head -- especially during rapid body/coaster movements. This screws up your middle ear and can make you even sicker.

Good luck!

Sushi

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think the thing to consider, too, is how scared are you? If you're gonna end up like the claustrophobic who tries to take his first plane ride and has a freak-out in mid-air and has to be forcibly restrained, then it's not a good idea. Conceivably, you could have such a panic attack that your heart or BP could be severely affected.

So it's probably a good idea to evaluate just how scared you are of roller coasters right now, and if you're going to do it, follow themadchemist's advice, and start small.

Hey, I never go on coasters, and no one puts me down for it. Everybody has their phobias. Heck, I figure if somebody as famous as John Madden has to travel the whole United States by bus, I'm entitled to my little quirk. :D

15. Mav451 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mav451

They aren't making me do anything...its more of me getting pissed at myself for being a scaredy cat. My twin brother laughs at me b/c he isn't afraid to ride a coaster, now and then. He's not a hard-core coaster fan, but he certainly uses it to ridicule me now and then.

BTW...i'm not the puking type. I'm the type that holds the bar like it is my life-jacket (eyes like snapped shut) while not making a peep...i wonder if screaming will make it easier on myself?

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know how you feel, i was afraid of coasters for a long time, and i still get edgy when riding them. but i just decided that i cant let this ruin a day of fun for me. So i went ahead and rode raging bull at six flags great america, wow! it changed my whole perception of roller coasters. yeah i still close my eyes sometimes, and sometimes i hold tight onto the bar, but hey i still enjoy the ride, its just the way i feel comfortable on the ride.

all i can say is that you know you are afriad, but you cant let your fears run your life, you have to take control and go out there and at least give it a shot. Start off on the less crazy coasters at first if you need to, but i think once you give it a go you will be fine.

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Yes, and a lot more fun ;) It should make you less scared!

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good to hear.

Don't know if screaming would help. Try it. Who knows, it might work for you.

A few years ago, I rode a coaster with a GF. She very scared and was screaming her guts out. It seemed to help her. Although she didn't really appreciate the picture that I took of her. During the ride I pulled out my 35mm camera and snapped a pic of her during a loop. Great pic!

As for holding the bar. I will never ride a traditional coaster with my brother again. When we were kids, we took a ride together. During the ride, he got scared and grabbed anything that he could get his hands on. Unfortunately, he missed the bar and got a hold of my leg. He had a white knuckle grip on my leg. I was screaming in pain and using both hands to try and get his hand (death grip) off my leg. I finally managed to get his hand off my leg and onto the bar after what seemed like an hour. My leg was bruised for a couple weeks after that. You could see his finger imprints on my leg so to speak. Really hurt as he was pretty strong.

I only mentioned the puking bit because some folks that I know were worried about that aspect, which caused them to be scared of the ride. After they realized that they could blow chow without it being a big deal, they relaxed a bit and enjoyed the ride. I know this sounds weird, but some folks get stressed out based on what might happen vice what is happening.

Another thing that may help, is to go over in your mind the flow of the ride. So rather than be in complete surprise at each twist and turn, you can anticipate these events somewhat. While I do not know if this helps on a coaster, I do know that this has helped my passengers during aerobatic flight.

Good luck!

Sushi

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This reminds me.

Nothing says that you have to ride the biggest coaster in the park. Usually there are many other alternatives.

Work your way up as long as you feel comfortable. Take it a step at a time. Don't rush things.

Sushi

20. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

One thing I found: bigger roller (not longer, but actually physically larger) are better. They are less jarring to your body. My first ever roller coaster was when I was 12ish. It was called the "Beastie" at KIng's World (??) in Ohio. It was a smaller version of The Beast. I was bounced all over the place. Probably part of the reason it took me so long to get on another one!

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have a definite fear of roller coasters. It's my fear of heights and then it mess with my sense of balance. The inner ear sensation gives me nausea. My fear is so great that I would have no problem, refusing to go on the ride with my friends. In that case my own well being comes first.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Many times, an inner ear sensation can be amplified by small head movements. Especially those away from the direction of travel. In other words, if you look to the left or right while riding. Additionally, looking up and down can affect your inner ear as well.

If you want to experience the effect, try this.

Sit in a rotating chair. Keep your head straight facing outward. Have a friend rotate the chair 5-6 times rapidly. Then stop the chair, stand up and then try to walk.

Now do the same experiment again. Only this time, instead of keeping your head facing outward, bend down and put it in your lap as they say. In other words, bend over so that you are looking down and your head is roughly parallel to the ground. Now spin the chair 5-6 rotations. After the chair stops, stand up with your head held normally. Now try to walk. Enjoy the ride...

Last but not least, do the same experiment again. Only this time, hold your head facing outward but slightly tilted to one side. Now spin the chair rapidly 5-6 times. After the chair stops, stand up with your head held normally. Now try to walk. Again, enjoy the ride...

If we were in an airplane/helicopter, we could really have some inner ear fun, also known as Vertigo. It can get so bad that you think you are upside down when you are right side up.

One thing is for sure, you can't trust your innner ear in all situations. Many times it gets completely faked out.

Sushi

23. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

Hmm...I'm not usually the rollercoaster type, maybe I need to go try some, you guys almost make it sounds fun. Thanks. :D