Fear of Spiders

Discussion in 'Community' started by natehan, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. natehan macrumors member

natehan

Does anyone know how I can get over my fear of spiders? I think my fear started when I was like 5 years old and I killed a large spider in my hands which made a loud crunch noise. Anyway, I don't think killing them often helps, since I am still petrified after killing them. I mean, I don't like getting haircuts and getting haircuts more often won't make me like getting haircuts.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've got a very intense fear of spiders – so much so that I can't even look at photos of them (as as for seeing Return Of The King at the cinema...shudder!). So, I sympathise. Like you, I can just about kill them but I'm still terrified of retrieving the carcass! The only thing I can think of suggesting is hypnosis. I saw a TV programme a while back where a minor celebrity (I can't remember who) used it in an attempt to cure his arachnaphobia. It didn't completely cure him but he could bear being around them.

3. natehan thread starter macrumors member

natehan

Yo, that part in ROTK scared the crap out of me too

4. loib macrumors newbie

spiders don't scare me. they're just 8 legged insects.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Haven't you seen Spiderman? :rolleyes: ;)
    Nevermind, I guess I'll be afraid of them depending on the size...

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Arachnids, actually. ;) And they are in fact the most evil creatures on Earth.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Don't forget to mention the death rays they shoot out of their eyes.

Seriously though, I'm terrified of spiders too, and I think it's getting worse rather than better as I get older.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    My sister was petrified of spiders. She was alone in the house for a week (at 18) when Mum was on holiday and spotted a spider in her bedroom. She lived in Mum's room, wearing/washing the clothes in the laundry until she could find someone to hunt it down! Even a picture could bring her out in a cold sweat.

She went on one of those fear-management classes because she thought her spider phobia was getting out of hand. It specifically addressed spiders in the course, bringing them in (gradually) to the room. She's much improved; while she'll never own a tarantula, she can now stay in the room with them. And go close enough (with a spider catcher) to remove them.

9. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I'm not scared of spiders but I hate them. They have all those legs and make those annoying spider webs.

Maybe you should get a pet spider of some sort. You can buy them at pet stores. Haveing this pet could over time ease your fear of spiders.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

It all depends on what type of spider it is.
    My wife is scared of pretty much any spider that's bigger than about 8mm across (including legs).

I don't mind big spiders, a Goliath is a little scary though, and I quite like little ones.
    It's the skinny ones about 3 inches across (again including legs) with long spindly legs that get me!!

I think it comes from when I was about 6 and woke up one morning and found I was eye to eye with a spider that was sat on my pillow!

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Spiders make my skin crawl, but I don't hate them. My brother is a zooligist and over the years he's taught me so much about nature and such, that I've become more interested in all sorts of God's creatures. I'm not as scared of them, though I don't want a spider crawling on me. I'm more interested, and if I see one I'll watch her with interest for awhile.

Maybe you could do some reading in National Geographic or some other magazine about spiders and insects. The more you learn about something the less you fear it IMO.

12. loib macrumors newbie

spiders probably more scared of you. just think that in the presence of spiders and you won't be so scared.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is she aware of and OK with your nick? Or are we to assume you have issues with your sister? ;)

14. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

At the risk of only British / Northern Irish forum members getting this - I'm afraid of spiders / spides / spidermen too :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• chav.JPG
      chav.JPG
      File size:
      100.3 KB
      Views:
  15. acceber macrumors regular

I have an insane fear of spiders, and have been ever since I can remember. It was aggravated by an event around 5 years ago when I opened the laundry door to find the whole room covered in little hatchlings.

I cannot look at pictures or movies with spiders in them, makes me want to scream and run for the nearest exit. :(

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They don't bother me at all. I once spent twenty minutes in my house in Sri Lanka watching a titanic battle between an enormous cockroach and an equally massive spider in my bathtub. I got fed up with waiting for my bath in the end, so I picked them up and chucked them into the garden. Should have filmed it, really. Eat your heart out, Ray Harryhausen... :p

17. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I like spiders because they eat the smaller bugs which are harder to catch/kill. My wife doesn't like them and when she sees them she has me kill them.

As for how to get over the fear of spiders you need to associate spiders with something pleasant so that there is a pavlovian response of happiness. find a girlfriend with a spider tattoo. Put a rubber spider on the night table and take a peak over at the special moment.

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I can kill most of them, squealling like a kindergartener. I have a phobia of a brown recluse getting in my shoes. If I leave a pair in the garage, I have to inspect the insides to make sure there is no spider in there. Gripes.
    When I was young I remember a news story about a 5 yr old boy who died from a Brown Recluse bite, and have been phobic since.
    It can be embarassing.
    Still, I am the "man" of the house when one is found, and everyone screams for me to kill it, I overcome my skin crawling phobia, and squish the critter.
    Can't stand'm!

19. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Actually, what freaks me out is the web. You're walking along, and BAM!!!, you've walked through a spider web. While a rational mind would ask what kind of spider web did I walk though. The irrational mind automatically assumes it's an agressive, venemous spider. And then it hits you....WHERE THE HELL IS THE SPIDER???

Is he on my back? Is he on my shirt? IS HE IN MY HAIR??

AAAGGHHH!!!!

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Since it's based on our surname (which we share) and she's lost her phobia, we're now fighting over who signs up first to services to get the applespider username... ;)

Stupid me - I recommended her ISP to her before I migrated so she got it there! :mad:

21. efoto macrumors 68030

That is where my fear lies as well. If I see a spider up in the ceiling corner of the bathroom or something, I'll leave it alone for the stray fly or other buzzer so the spider can help me out. After a couple of days though, if it doesn't move AT ALL I start to worry its getting ready to lay eggs which just freaks me out like nothing else (hundreds of teeny tiny spiders is WAAAAY worse than one or two big ones IMO). If I lose sight of the little wretch, I go on a hunt and smash it first thing....but just sitting in the corner and staying there is fine with me...I wasn't using the corner anyway.

22. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Anyone seen Arachnaphobia the film?? Didn't sleep with my Quilt on for a month!!!!

I love tarantulas but my mum wont let me have one in the house.

When moving in to our house (very old house) the first night in the dark I saw two big things move across the floor, turned the lights on and two massive house spiders bigger than a pint glass could cover.. I just check out the window! :)

We're quite lucky here because there isn't any arachnids / insects / reptiles that are very poisonous, however those black widow and brown thingies in australia ... uggh gotta watch out for those.

23. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My 4.9-year-old was terrified. Then we read "Charlotte's Web", and now she can't stand to see them killed.

Personally, I don't mind them. Once, twenty years ago when I had a summer job as a camp counselor in Wisconsin, I woke up with a furry spider on my lips. My mouth was shut, thank god, but that was a bit startling. I don't like them on me, but don't care if they're near me.

24. efoto macrumors 68030

I have no problem with Tarantulas (or others of the relative size) since they seem substantial enough to be a 'pet' of sorts, if you're into that sort of thing. Personally I prefer fish, but I don't have those either since I'm too lazy currently to take care of anything.

Spiders on me, save for a tarantula, just make me flip and completley wig out, I have zero control when that happens and limbs just flail endlessly, its quite sad really :(

25. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Don't mind spiders, except when they get big and hairy, or have insanly long legs. Spiders on the TV doesn't bother me, regardless how nasty they might look. The small ones are just cute.

I never kill 'em. Just let them walk around and do their thing.

natehan: Maybe you should stop killing them? :) Just being exposed to them alot usually helps, and it might be that killing them is the issue, since that's what appears to have triggered your fear (or maybe not the kill in particular, but that squish thing).

Not many spiders here anyway. Too cold :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.