Features or Bugs in Finder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by elppa, Nov 7, 2006.

1. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I've been thinking about these for a while and thought I would share:

[1] Open a new Finder window in column view
    [2] Click on "Applications" (if you have it in your sidebar)
    [3] Scroll down down and click "Utilities" (or any other folder)
    [4] Now switch to icon view
    [5] Now click again on "Applications" (from the sidebar)

I find it does not return to my applications folder as expected, but instead stays in the utilities folder.

Another One:
    When you rename a file in the Finder, it does not immediately jump into alphabetical order. It used to work like this in 10.3.

Are these meant to work like this, or are they bugs?

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

thats because you are still in the applications directory, the utilities is just a sub-directory, you need to press the back arrow, just as easy as clicking sidebar. i assume this is whats what

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

This makes sense because when you are going through all this, the Application folder is still highlighted.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yep, it does look like a bug in switching views. If you start with the Applications folder in icon view and double-click Utilities from there, the Applications sidebar item does the right thing. It also does the right thing if you stay in column mode.

I still can't decide if this is a bug or a feature :D It occasionally could come in handy when you plop a new file into a large folder, but it doesn't seem to stay put for quite long enough to be really useful.

5. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I'm not seeing the bug. I have my apps as icons, click into Utilities, then click on the App alias in the sidebar and it works fine.

6. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Regarding the Finder views behavior, yep, that's a bug. I happen to have the utilities folder in my sidebar, so here's some additional info: following the procedure you outlined and after switching to icon view for the utilities folder, clicking on my sidebar utilities folder does nothing (as expected), but then clicking the applications folder in the sidebar will change the view to the applications folder. Weird...

As far as the delay when renaming a file, I don't think I would call that a bug, more like the need for additional optimizing of OS X. (In other words, instant sorting after a name change will become one of the 284 brand new Leopard "features."

7. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

Thanks for the replies - I've tried to answer each one in turn.

The key is to start in column view, then click the folder, then switch to icon view. Then you will see the feature/bug.

I think you missed the point. Yes - as you have observed the application folder stays highlighted, but no it doesn't make sense because you are not in the applications folder.

No - normally the sidebar doesn't normally pay any attention to whether a folder is a particular sub-directory or not. Example -

[1] Open Applications in column view
    [2] Click on the Utilities folder
    [3] Now click on Applications in the sidebar
    [4] Look - the utilities folder loses focus

Also - to say you can "just press back" is fine, but then you lose the view preference. Closely related - why is there an "always open windows in column view" option in the preferences, but not an "always open windows in current view".

It always used to be an old feature of the OS. I think they may have changed it as a feature, but personally I hate it and hope they change it back. Thanks for the other tip - that's even stranger :)