Features that dissapeared in Panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by awulf, Dec 29, 2003.

1. awulf macrumors 6502

After using panther for a while I realised not only did Apple add new features to Panther but they killed some too.

Text-to-Speech the voice 'Good News' has gone.

Disk Copy (the program) merged with Disk Utility, which makes things harder to use.

Keycaps I can't find it anywhere, it was one of my favourite utilities in Mac OS especially when you were missing the keyboard. It was with us from a early age (System 6, I think). The Panther upgrade deleted Keycaps.

Has anyone else noticed anything else disappearing?

2. vniow macrumors G4

Re: Features that dissapeared in Panther

Yeah, I liked that program too, I used the Classic version until I snatched my Jaguar discs and extracted the OSX version of the app, I can send it to you if you like (or anyone else for that matter) Works great in Panther.

3. cpjakes macrumors 6502

In the International pane of System Preferences, select Input Menu and turn on Keyboard Viewer. This adds another icon to the menu bar, but adds quick access to the now hidden Key Caps.

cpjakes

4. awulf thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple could have made it a bit simpler.

5. movabi macrumors member

list view...

in list view in the finder, there is no longer a crosshair marquee to select files. You can shift select, to get multiple files in the list, but its not the same.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

7. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

Thank you very much, I just spilled water all over my keyboard, but I do not see any of the things except System Preferences and the International Pane, can you please show them to me?

8. cpjakes macrumors 6502

You should get this with the International System Preference pane... The first two options give the menu item.

cpjakes

Attached Files:

9. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

sorry, i'm an idiot, kept going to universal access. thanks

10. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I am with 7on on this one, but I will elaborate. While the networking in Panther works better (IMHO) the browsing of the network worked much better in jag.

Pro: My computer doesn't hang indefinitely when I forget to disconnect a network drive.

Con: Browsing is super slow now. (But I can browse the shares which is a pro, but since it is so slow I don't use it.)

11. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Print Window?

I can't seem to figure out how to print the contents of a folder. In OS 9, it was File > Print Window. This feature appears to have dropped out in 10.3.
    Yes one can always take a screen shot of a folder's contents, but this adds an unnecesary step or two.

But maybe I am missing something...

12. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye